#25 — ACA World Championship
10 things worth sharing each week.
- Last week, I have been working on the Adobe Certified Associate Championship in Orlando, Florida.
- The championship is about designing a poster and a banner for the International Child Art Foundation (ICAF) to promote their upcoming Art Olympiad.
- My student got 3rd place in the championship and won the bronze medal. Macao team has won 2 gold and 1 bronze medals in total in this event.
- I met Story Musgrave, the astronaut that has flown all five space shuttles. His speech was truly inspirational.
- So obviously, I read a lot about ICAF and the 4th grade slump in order to prepare for the competition.
I also read some other posts during my trip:
- To-Do Lists Are Not the Answer to Getting Things Done. My wife uses calendar as her to-do list. I tried but failed to do so. I write my to-do list on paper.
- How to Optimize Images on Websites to Improve Performance and UX.
- And Pete Souza’s photo shots of Obama.
- I still don’t have a clue why so many non-gamers play Pokémon Go. But this is still a good read: Pokémon GO, Ingress and Niantic: A Tale of Developer Apathy Ruining Massive Potential.
- “Each step requires asking ‘What’s really important?’ That’s the most important question you can ask yourself about anything.” — Jason Fried on The writing class I’d like to teach.
That was a great week for me in Florida. Now it’s time for me to move on to the next competitions: a web design competition among 4 cities. Then the EuroSkills in December and the WorldSkills next year in Abu Dhabi.
Hope you have a great week.
— Thomas Mak