Skype for Business Preparation: How to patch SQL Express with Service Pack on Lync FE Server…
Note: I wrote this back in April 2015, but I got rid of my Wordpress site and wanted to move it over to Medium. It was still getting some hits so I thought I’d repost it.
With the anticipation that Microsoft will release Skype for Business Server at the beginning of May, you’re now probably starting to think about the upgrade from Lync.
There are several prerequisites for the FE server upgrade:
- Install minimum of Lync Server CU5
- PowerShell version 6.2.9200.0 or later
- SQL Server 2012 SP1 or later
- The following security hotfix (OS dependent):
- Windows Server 2008 R2: KB2533623
- Windows Server 2012: KB2858668
- Windows Server 2012 R2: KB2982006
This short blog post will focus on the SQL upgrade to at least Service Pack 1.
First off, you need to download your choice of service pack from here (probably best to go to the latest):
- Service Pack 2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43351
- Service Pack 1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35579
When you get to the list of downloads it’s the SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe file that you need.
Once you have that, go to a Command Prompt or PowerShell window and navigate to the path of the file you just downloaded and run it with an /ACTION=PATCH switch:
Accept the license terms and then make sure all instances are selected for the update:
Click Next and few more times and voila, you’re one step closer to Skype for Business.