Why I take 5,000 shots every day?

I’m pretty sure you’ve seen 'Wolf of Wall Street', 'Boiler Room', 'Glengarry Glen Ross' or another one of those movies full of blunt sales quotes. The story always seems pretty similar: an alpha-male egomaniac running around the office telling others that they should be closing more deals. Otherwise, they may as well pack their s*** and leave. And even though I’m not a big fan of these movies, I do agree with one thing and that is: you should be always closing.

It's 2015. You can find literally anyone online.

Every day I take at least 5,000 shots. I cold-email potential customers and other relevant people. I also reach out via social media and other channels. But I won't close my laptop until I reach at least this daily quota. If we do some simple maths; I work around 300 days per year. So 300 x 5,000 = 1,500,000 people I reach out to in a single year.

Let's say 99% of those people won't give a damn about what I can do for them, let alone what I offer. This leaves me with 1% of people who may be interested. That’s 15,000 people. Now let's be really pessimistic and say only 1% of those will actually turn into a customer. So in one year, I will gain at least 150 new customers. Now that might not sound like a huge number, but I have made this process almost fully automated & I can easily replicate it for any business. Moreover, I can obviously reach out to more than 5,000 people in a day. So in reality, just by following this routine you can grow any business from zero to one in less than a year. Spaceship itself works as proof to this theory. We launched two months ago, now we have a few hundred customers in 37 countries, with a zero to none marketing budget.

It's all a matter of numbers.

If you don't reach out to anyone, don't expect new customers to find you or know about you. If you reach out to 10 people a day, it’ll take you probably a couple of months to get somewhere. I have heard many people saying that you should not “burn your ground”, but I don't really agree there is such thing as “burning your ground”, you simply need to reach out to people and communicate the value your business brings. It doesn’t matter if your product isn't perfect or fully ready. You simply need to start a conversation with your potential customers. If you don’t, then in my opinion you’re just looking for excuses. But at the end of the day it's your business not mine. So it's your choice :)

Now, you might be asking how I find these leads?

We’ve already covered this topic a fair bit. So if you would like to learn more, just check out some of our other Medium articles. We have developed a set of tools that enable users to generate leads really quickly. If you don't want to waste time generating leads for yourself, you can also get one of our leads packages. We have extensive experience with lead generation in many industries — ranging from Real Estate to Virtual Reality Education.

Again, it’s your choice.

Written by Dominik Vacikar.

Astronaut @spaceshyp • Founder @rentomato • Previously CMO @nestpick• Studied @Erasmusuni

Spaceship | join beyond.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.