December 25, 2020
Five things that made me happy today:
1. Gifts. Opened one batch early at the Soto house and then from the extended family — who made a house call for us — tonight. I’m not often present to how much worldly goods we have in my extended family, but tonight I am!
2. A beautiful warm and blustery Texas winter day today. I spent some time sitting in the sun in my back yard. It’s sheltered from the wind and just feels very private in the middle of the block.
3. I dressed up for gifts this morning — my fancy boots, my poodle fleece red jacket, big earrings, make up (for under my mask, ha!). And walked over to the Soto house. First time I’ve gotten “dressed” since March.
4. My boots have leather soles and rubber heels and make a nice racket on the wood floors. You can hear me coming!
5. At home I listened to WRR, the local classical music station, almost all day. Wall to wall music today, no ads except the announcements that it was an ad-free day. From my tinny tiny radio that has quite a speaker.
Christmas bonus: I read Truman Capote’s A Christmas Memory. The bookplate says 1969, so I have read it at least 40 of those 50 Christmases — usually having whoever I’m with read it aloud with me. Today it was me, myself, in my big comfy reading/napping chair, listening to classical music with candles and the Christmas lights on. Hard to beat!
I’d love to hear what made you happy on this Christmas Day.