Durians Daily #17: Prenetics makes Covid-19 testing more accessible in Hong Kong, Pomelo launches support initiative, and free awareness animations from LottieFiles
Help continues to pour in from the startup community.
- The best way to slow down a pandemic, according to World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom is to “test, test, test”.
- In reflection of that instruction, 500-backed genetic testing and digital health company, Prenetics, has ramped up efforts to make Covid-19 testing more widely available in Hong Kong.
- The non-profit campaign named Project Screen comprises of Prenetics and several collaborators from different industries.
- Using the latest digital and ISO-laboratory testing standards, users can receive, return, and access results within 24 hours.
- Prenetics is present across many markets in Asia and Southeast Asia. We’re hoping they can play a role in more markets soon.
- More details on Project Screen here.
More fashion for frontliners
- Pomelo, a 500-backed omnichannel fashion brand, has launched Pomelo Cares, a multi-pronged initiative that doubles as a support system for medical frontliners and a community program encouraging people to social distance.
- Utilizing the production expertise of its manufacturing partners, Pomelo has produced fabric masks, of which all profit of these masks will be channeled to hospital and healthcare bodies like the Thailand Red Cross.
- More details on the initiative and how you can contribute, go here.
Animations for Covid-19 awareness
- Lottiefiles, the 500-backed animation proprietor who counts industry big-names like Netflix, Spotify and Airbnb as users of its open-sourced file format dotLottie, has got a slew of new animations focusing on Covid-19 awareness.
- These eye-catching animations can be used in websites, apps, videos, and social posts.
- Lottiefiles has made it easy to embed its animations on multiple platforms. Here’s a quick-start guide.
- There’s also an extensive marketplace on Lottiefiles for creatives and animators to buy and sell their creations.
Best fruit forward
- As Southeast Asian capitals fall into lockdown, its citizens count on delivery providers like 500-backed Grab and Zalora to get their items delivered.
- But a new challenge will emerge post-Covid-19 and that’s retaining these customers. The Ken elaborates more here.
Stay tuned to tomorrow’s Durians Daily!
Missed out on the last Durian Daily? Go here for a full recap.
500 Startups is a venture capital firm on a mission to discover and back the world’s most talented entrepreneurs, help them create successful companies at scale, and build thriving global ecosystems. In Southeast Asia, 500 Startups invests through the pioneering 500 Durians family of funds. The 500 Durians funds have backed over 200 companies across multiple sectors from internet to consumer to deep technology. It continues to connect founders with capital, expertise and powerful regional and global networks to help them succeed.
This post is intended solely for general informational or educational purposes only. 500 Startups Management Company, L.L.C. and its affiliates (collectively “500 Startups”) makes no representation as to the accuracy or information in this post and while reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that the information herein is accurate and up-to-date, no liability can be accepted for any error or omissions. All third party links in this post have not been independently verified by 500 Startups and the inclusion of such links should not be interpreted as an endorsement or confirmation of the content within. Under no circumstances should any content in this post be construed as investment, legal, tax or accounting advice by 500 Startups, or an offer to sell or solicitation of interest to purchase any securities advised by 500 Startups. Prospective investors considering an investment into any 500 Startups fund should not consider or construe this content as fund marketing material. The views expressed herein are as at the date of this post and are subject to change without notice. A 500 Startups fund may have a financial interest in one or more of the companies discussed