Durians Daily #27: Esports continues to level up in this Covid-19 world
With the world under social distancing, esports is enjoying the spotlight.
ESPL secures another partnership
- Just weeks after announcing a partnership with India’s PayTm First Games, 500-backed Esports Players League (ESPL) has scored yet another tie-up. This time in Latin America.
- Three prominent esports platforms in the region are in the mix: Arena Esports Pro Gaming, Mexico’s premier esports experience brand, grassroots esports community BroooTV in Ecuador, and Versus Esports, a vibrant esports community that spans Panama and Colombia.
- With over 45 million viewers in the Latin American market and profits of over US$32 million, this partnership looks to boost the fastest-growing region for competitive gaming to even greater heights.
- Besides, with ESPL’s efficiently deployable and scalable ecosystems for amateur competitive gaming, the region can expect a new wave of esports athlete to emerge.
engageSPARK reaches out to rural communities
- engageSPARK, the 500-backed software startup with the aim of reaching rural communities through scalable mobile messaging, has been offering its services at a discount to NGOs and government agencies to reach marginalized communities.
- The company is working with the International Organization for Migration to provide accurate and timely information pertaining to the Covid-19 pandemic to Rohingya refugees.
- Leading humanitarian organization for children, Save the Children, is partnering with engageSPARK on two projects in the Philippines. The first is an information drive surveying 600 beneficiaries about their preferred mode of receiving Covid-related news
- The second project is a 30+ question survey asking around 400 beneficiaries regarding the quality of hygiene kits they receive.
- For more information on the work engageSPARK is doing to help those affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, go here.
Fighting Covid-19 with IoT
- 500-backed FOX-TECH enables traditional businesses with perishable goods to improve safety compliance and reduce profit losses through their easy-to-use data analytics solution.
- In such a time where food safety is taking precedence, FOX-TECH’s TEMPHAWK solution has been acknowledged in the fight against Covid-19 by the Global Organization of Smart Cities.
- TEMPHAWK is an end-to-end solution for optimizing quality and safety in the food and beverage industry.
- Easily set up and multi-language supported, the feature provides temperature readings from -40°C up to 125°C and humidity level (0 -100%) wheres data is promptly sent to mobile phones or wearables like the Apple Watch every 10 minutes.
- For more information on FOX-TECH and TEMPHAWK, go here.
Google x Apple
- Apple and Google have embarked on a collaboration for the ages. The long-time rivals are working together to create an ambitious Covid-19 contact tracing software that uses Bluetooth in people’s smartphones to detect when they come in contact with someone who’s already tested positive for coronavirus.
- Just yesterday, the tech giant released screenshots which they called illustrative concepts. Do note that these visuals don’t necessarily reflect the exact software that public health authorities will use, but instead is a blank canvas to start without having to create something from scratch.
Stay tuned to tomorrow’s Durians Daily!
Missed out on the last Durian Daily? Go here for a full recap.
500 Startups is a venture capital firm on a mission to discover and back the world’s most talented entrepreneurs, help them create successful companies at scale, and build thriving global ecosystems. In Southeast Asia, 500 Startups invests through the pioneering 500 Durians family of funds. The 500 Durians funds have backed over 200 companies across multiple sectors from internet to consumer to deep technology. It continues to connect founders with capital, expertise and powerful regional and global networks to help them succeed.
This post is intended solely for general informational or educational purposes only. 500 Startups Management Company, L.L.C. and its affiliates (collectively “500 Startups”) makes no representation as to the accuracy or information in this post and while reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that the information herein is accurate and up-to-date, no liability can be accepted for any error or omissions. All third party links in this post have not been independently verified by 500 Startups and the inclusion of such links should not be interpreted as an endorsement or confirmation of the content within. Under no circumstances should any content in this post be construed as investment, legal, tax or accounting advice by 500 Startups, or an offer to sell or solicitation of interest to purchase any securities advised by 500 Startups. Prospective investors considering an investment into any 500 Startups fund should not consider or construe this content as fund marketing material. The views expressed herein are as at the date of this post and are subject to change without notice. A 500 Startups fund may have a financial interest in one or more of the companies discussed.