The advance of deepfakes is spurring new countermeasures
- Deepfakes — AI-generated fake video, audio, and still images that seem real — have advanced rapidly over the past 3 years, growing in quality and requiring less source data than before.
- Online deepfake videos have doubled from Dec 2018 to Aug 2019.
- In recent months, two separate deepfake experts have estimated that we are less than 12 months away from “perfectly real” deepfake videos.
- The rate of growth and prevalence of deepfake tools and services are raising concerns about identity theft, fraud and misinformation.
- In response, there are a growing number of tech firms, startups, and government organizations working on countermeasures to address the deepfake threat.
Subscribe on the 6Pages website to read the full-length brief.
6Pages is a market-intelligence service that helps leaders and professional decision-makers make better and faster decisions in response to market shifts. We scan thousands of news pieces, identify and connect signals, and turn them into deeply researched briefs on what’s happening and what it means.
Sign up to get free summaries of our briefs about market shifts and what they mean. You can also follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn for our curated feed of signals.
Share your thoughts with us at hello@6Pages.com.