Making Progress — Peer Pressure
Last night I felt really rushed for time to deliver what was expected of me today but that was because of a miscommunication issue. After having talked with Stacie again during the day, I had a better idea of what I needed to do — figure out what the voice is, fonts, colors, message content. Don’t worry about the graphics elements at the moment or the form (although I still think it’s important to understand form first before thinking about content). Here’s the first slide in my process PDF documenting the different colors I thought about using and fonts that suited the message well. I settled on Proxima Nova, a font that I think is clean, simple and attractive to a range of ages.
In the above images, I started piecing together the theme and voice that will hold my message together. I’m utilizing phrase and key words that make the homeowner feel like they’re a bit behind on the initiative. I’m making sure to phrase things that make it seem like this is entirely a community effort — it’s not about just you and what your thoughts are. It’s more about the right or wrong things to do for your family, community and environment.
- “Join in on the conversation in-person”
- “Your friend…”
- “Your neighbors are counting on you…”
- “Don’t be that person…”
I paid close attention to making this timeline as straightforward as possible in explaining how much work/time will be expected from the homeowner in this whole process. I want to show that these meetings and the tests are only 1–2 hours of someone’s time. I think it helps to ease people about the process when they think about it in small goals that can be achieved. They need to feel like this won’t be a tedious process that will mean their nights and weekends are spent researching or dealing with home energy improvements. I continue to stress how this is a community/block effort in the words I use.
I’m not particularly a huge fan of either the blue or red card shown above. The percentages feel forced and to me they’re boring to read about. Although giving statistics about “what your neighbors are doing” can be good in getting individuals to start taking action, it sounds overwhelming and this might backfire in that they feel as though they’re so behind already what’s the point of joining the initiative so suddenly now? I again want to make sure that conversations and information being fed to homeowners happen in person where they can feel comfortable asking questions if they are really uninformed. The thing I liked about the red card is that I threw in a specific Pittsburgh reference that I think helps people feel like the campaign is personal. But also, it helps in visualizing the impact. I was pretty surprised myself at the success of the program because “6 acres of forest” sounds impressive! But then when I found out that that’s only half the size of Heinz Field, I realized how small that is in comparison to the goal we want to reach.
Conclusions: Talking to Danae helped me figure out/finalize the components of the Box and how I can integrate the infographic/HES redesign aspect into my idea.
The box will continue to stay very minimalistic. It will include the lightbulbs, a brief card about the issue at hand, and then the RSVP invitation that includes the timeline detailing the steps of the whole process. That’s it for that. Using wording that really guilts the homeowner into thinking that they are behind will hopefully get them to the community workshop and things will go from there.
On the other hand, I need think about what information the Block Leader will be given before the workshop. They will receive something that equips them with a list of questions homeowners might ask at the meeting. The Block leader needs to have a good idea of how to moderate the conversation at group meetings and of course at the first workshop. They’ll receive the simplified redesign of the HES which they should eventually share with the homeowners. The page I provide to the Block Leader might also have something like the graphic shown below: