- Artificial intelligence proves that craft beer names are total nonsense Let’s call it “Shock State.
- “Image: NEARMY/EPA/REX/Shutterstock By Stan Schroeder2017–08–04 09:11:11 UTC If you’re a craft beer connoisseur — or even just an occasional drinker — you’ve likely noticed that names for new brews are getting out of hand.
- Likely in order to distance themselves from traditional, European beer names such as Franziskaner Royal, the new breed of craft beer makers are going with increasingly odd names such as Stone Ruination IPA.
- So what happens when you employ a neural network to create new craft beer names?
- Researcher Janelle Shane did it by feeding a neural network a bunch of beer names from BeerAdvocate’s database — the project was initiated by Gizmodo’s Ryan Mandelbaum — and the AI came up with a bunch of names which mostly sound very odd, just like real craft beer names.
@mashable: “Artificial intelligence proves that craft beer names are total nonsense” open tweet »