- Microsoft on Friday unceremoniously revealed new prototype augmented-reality (AR) glasses that look like a normal pair of thick-framed glasses.
- “There’s still a lot of work to be done,” Microsoft researchers Andrew Maimone, Andreas Georgiou, and Joel Kollin wrote in a paper describing the glasses containing holographic display prototypes, which employ a technique called digital holography.
- The paper comes a few weeks after Facebook talked about building AR glasses.
- Snap, which sells camera sunglasses for its Snapchat messaging app, has introduced AR software features, although it has not yet indicated it’s working on proper AR glasses.
- Apple is also thought to be developing AR technology.
@LifeboatHQ: “Microsoft reveals prototype augmented reality glasses that don’t look wacky” open tweet »