In 2012 after Mitt Romney got beat, Reince Priebus wrote an “autopsy report” of why the Republicans lost. In it he called for more inclusion of minorities, a clear move towards the center. All this despite the fact that Romney was arguably centrist (governor of Massachusetts, passed universal healthcare, non-racist). 2016 comes around and Trump (who does the opposite of move to the center) wins.
So in summary, in the 2012 election:
1) Republicans ran a centrist and lost
2) Decided that the solution was to move more towards the center
3) Won in 2016 by moving to the far right.
In the other hand, in the 2016 election:
1) Democrats ran a centrist and lost
2) Decided that the solution was to move more towards the center…..
3) (Fill in the blank for 2020)
What are your predictions?