With the increase in mobile devices and usage the number of mobile apps have drastically increased in the recent years. Every business entity from Online to Brick and Motor has an App something which was shunned by Brick and Motor stores in the earlier stages. According to report by Statista, the total number of apps on Play store and App store have increased drastically due to increase in mobile devices and internet penetration usage in various regions.
The total number of apps on Playstore as of June 2017 is 3 million and number of apps downloaded till 2016 is 90 billion (App Annie).
And on App store, the total number of apps till January 2017 is 2.2 million and the number of downloads are fewer compared to Android with 25 billion downloads till 2016.
On a daily basis a user uses around 9 apps per day and 30 apps per month (Techcrunch). According to Similarweb, the most popular category apps in India on Android are Communication, Social, Tools and Video Players. The category however differs for Apple store.
In Apple store the prominent category apps are Social, Photo & Video, Productivity, Navigation, Games. Interestingly Apple Store has ID’s instead of categories being mentioned unlike in Android.
Although the number of apps are increasing day by day and most of the customers expect a company now a days to have an app. One needs to consider various factors while launching an app such as:
- How will it benefit the user over website which can offer the user same experience ?
- What will be the benefit to your business by having the app? Can you use it as a avenue to earn additional revenues ?
- How many times can you expect a user to use the app over web services ?
- Is there a market for your business to grow in terms of customers if it goes on App based service ?
- What would be the factor for user not to uninstall the App over a long period of time ?
- What is the industry standard for number of installs ?
These are certain questions a business entity needs to clear before going ahead with the development of app. Although with so many players in the market it is cheaper to develop an app, one needs to also understand that their will be after costs such as for user acquisition, updating of app with new features and many more.