Add ‘Awesomeness’ To Transform Your Content To A Hero
The challenge with content marketing is that we are all looking for quick fixes to get business from the content we are publishing.
Obviously the sole purpose of content marketing is business right? Yes, it is.
We are spending X amount of dollars to get Y number of leads and Z number of conversions right? Sure, we are.
But, are we truly focusing on creating useful content for our target audiences? Not always. Now, that’s wherein lies the real challenge.
The point is, no matter how much we care about doing relevant content to get relevant business, it has no meaning until my audience is comfortable with my content.
‘Awesomeness’ means your content is loved by your prospects which makes them love your brand and become loyal to you.
I am not of the opinion that we do not have to optimise content for search engines or for conversions, for that matter.
The contention is simple — we do not need to assume that the prospective customers are out there to consume the content before they buy from me.
Let them just appreciate and enjoy the content first! Let them find it useful and share it because they truly like it!
Let’s understand how to add that ‘awesomeness’ to your content with these steps:
Understand Your Audience
Ask the following questions before writing any piece of content for your target audience:
- Who is my target audience?
- What are they looking for?
- What is their profession?
- What factors motivate them?
- What gaps are we trying to fulfil with our content efforts?
- Is the content idea useful to the target audience?
- Is the content idea engaging enough?
- How important is it for them to listen to me (the brand)?
As a content marketer one has to think more like a content publisher of a particular industry. Develop content that works and rest will fall in place.
Great marketers have immense empathy for their audience. They can put themselves in their shoes, live their lives, feel what they feel, go where they go, and respond how they’d respond. That empathy comes out in content that resonates with your audience.
Here are some examples to help your understand this:
- My target audience is a small business owner. The small business owner I’m targeting is looking for content marketing services. Now, ideally, this piece must add value to his business and how he markets his products and services.
- Similarly a fashion brand has to literally tell the audience when to wear what and where to find it. Putting yourself in the shoes of your audience is the best way to know what content they wish to consume. Once they willingly consume your content, they are bound to convert.
Define Content Qualities
The content marketer’s role is to help engage, entertain and establish a relationship.
Make a list of content qualities that would make your audience love it!
- Examples of helpful content includes e-books, Info-graphics, whitepapers, ‘how to’ posts, tips and tricks, product usage help and help related to latest industry trends.
2. Real life experiences
- These include experiences of customers who have already used your products. You could simply add these in the form of video testimonials on your site.
- Your own or your team’s real life experiences can help the audience connect with your business on a personal level.
- Examples of entertaining content includes videos, GIFs, memes, quotes and interesting facts. Add quirkiness and let the audience have fun with your content.
- Content that relates to a certain news in the industry helps in getting the attention that the news is gaining at that time. A proactive approach helps in creating content that’s fresh and trending.
Create a campaign calendar and fit in each type of content to ensure you are covering each.
Irrespective of the fact that you are publishing your content through various channels or content types or content length — you must at-least go to the length of delighting your audience.
The loyalty of your target audience is directly proportional to the awesomeness of your content.
Understand Your Brand Values
Making a list of brand values is another important part of building the right perception for your brand. Create a word cloud on your brand values. Here is an example values that a sports brand would be associated with:
A content marketing campaign from such a brand can include fitness tips from sporting heroes.
The brand can share interesting facts and trivia about historical sporting events to engage the audiences and have them share the content.
Here is an example of how Nike Facebook page regularly shares videos featuring sporting legends wearing the Nike products:
Let your audience participate and have a one-on-one conversation with your brand.
Contests and giveaways on social channels like Facebook and Twitter go a long way in helping your audience to willingly participate.
Creating short quizzes on Facebook will trigger your audience to like these posts and participate.
Add funny GIFs and memes to grab attention and get more likes and shares.
A meme is quite simply a concept, behavior, or idea that spreads, usually via the internet.
Memes and GIFs are inherently viral in nature and all one has to do is make them as funny as possible. Also ensure that these are related to the brand messaging you are trying to to give out.
Here is how Fiat USA has used GIF’s to catch attention and engage with its twitter followers:
Grab Attention With Powerful Headlines
With more and more content being published each day, your content must stand out.
You need to add attention value to your content, so it stands out from the rest. Use catchy headlines to get your target to click and read your content.
Your headline should- ‘tell a story’, ‘glorify’ ‘evoke’ or ‘exaggerate’ to gain your audience’s attention.
The headline of this article glorifies the ‘awesomeness’ in content and tells you how you can use it to convert your content into the ‘Hero’ (excites).
Many content marketers add a number to their headlines to give out a more definitive solution to the audience’s queries.
You can use headline analyzer tools like Emotional Marketing Headline Analyzer to improve upon your headlines.
Add uniqueness to your headline give your audiences what they have not read before.
Content is at the heart of marketing your brand. Make ‘awesomeness’ your first content marketing goal and let your audiences love you for it. Give them something new every time and they will stay with you.
Thank you for reading this piece. Would love to have your comments and feedback.