You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers.
I want to get in shape, but I can’t afford to join a gym. What should I do?
It’s great that you want to exercise more! Here are some tips for working out and staying fit without joining a gym:
- Try walking or running around the city’s parks and greenways: even as the weather gets a little cooler, moving your body will help you stay warm.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator in your building or at school. It’s another opportunity to move a little more.
- Walk instead of taking the bus or the subway.
- Look up workouts that use common house hold items, like water bottles as weights, or chairs as a surface to do triceps lifts.
- There are tons of workout videos available on YouTube that you can watch on your phone and do pretty much anywhere.
- Finally, recruit a friend to join you! It’ll be more fun, and having a buddy can help you stay motivated.
We hope these tips are helpful. Good luck!
About You Asked It
At the Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center, we answer a lot of questions. Topics range from nutrition to pregnancy prevention, and everything in between. Now, we’re bringing these questions back to you with our new weekly advice column, You Asked It. Got a question? Holler at us in the comments, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter, or email us at email@example.com.