- I am grateful for your courage in writing this article.
- I’m sorry this has happened to you.
- I agree that rape culture places an unfair pressure on women to forgive.
- You’re right about the power of anger and how too many girls and women are taught to repress that. I like the expression “sacred rage.”
- I don’t think “Praying” is actually about forgiveness. I think it’s about personal healing. The lyric that makes me think that is this:
“Oh, sometimes, I pray for you at night
Oh, someday, maybe you’ll see the light
Oh, some say, in life you gonna get what you give
But some things, only God can forgive”
To me, this sounds like permission not to forgive him while still praying for his well-being in order to alleviate her own suffering from toxic emotions that build up when wishing harm on someone.
Just food for thought. Regardless, I’m grateful for this article, and I hope you continue using your voice for empowerment!