Some Truths I Learned From 2017
While we don’t feel like we change a lot in a day, bit by bit, our 365 days of experience accumulates and change us, to the point where we become someone different, someone else when the year ends.
Our beliefs are constantly changing and evolving. The truths that we believe in today may very well change the next day when we face an experience that puts our life in another perspective. Our ideals and beliefs are like water, without form and taking shape within the shape it is held in.
With that said, here is what I currently believe that holds truth to my life.
- Do not judge. Judgement prevents you from knowing someone better as you think you know all that it is this know about the person already.
- Respect others so that you will be respected. If they do not respect you, then they do not deserve your respect.
- Life’s too short to worry so much. Can your worry be solved now? Then go and solve it. If it can’t? Then let it be. Trust that the world and you will be able to handle it when the time comes.
- Don’t lose your cool. Nothing changes if you just keep thinking about the problem. Emotions without solutions changes nothing. Be calm and resolve the issue.
- Don’t let your emotions cloud your judgement, the person to give in to their emotions loses.
- As cliche as it is, tomorrow is always a different day.
- Don’t forget to listen to the beating of your heart, to hear your wants and needs.
- The things that you do shows way more about who you are then the words you say.
- Be your own judge of character. Do not let what others say about someone affect your interactions.
- Even if you feel like what you did might not have been the best idea, it’s a start, it sets something in motion, it pushes your life forward because you are trying to change something about your life and your situation, rather then not doing anything about it and choosing to ignore it.
- Pick your battles, some things are worth fighting for as it proves your strength, your character.
- It all comes down to choice, to choose to stay still and take it, or to move forward and do something about it.
- Do not let the length of commitment affect your judgment. While wine does get better with age, milk expires. So know when to commit and when to walk away.
- Your thoughts take consistency to change. Keep reminding yourself of the values and mentality you want to instill to have it be permanent.
- Begin the day with a fighting spirit. Don’t just let life run you over, stand on your own two feet and push forward.
- As dumb as it sounds, I think many of us forget that we can’t expect to be better if we don’t work on improving ourselves.
- Time goes on, our now becomes our memories and our regrets cannot be changed. So push yourself and fight, because our past stays the past but the future is endless.
- Embrace change, because if you are still stuck in the past, then you can’t fully enjoy the now.
- It’s alright if we have doubts in what we believe in, in the choices we make, everyone does. What is important is that we push on ahead with these choices, despite the doubts we have.
- Do not have expectations from anyone, that they will act in a certain way. It is unfair to put that kind of pressure on them.
- Be the change you want to see. Rather than trying to change someone of a behavior, it is better to change yourself so that they will follow by example.
- Be useful not only to others, but to yourself.
- If you don’t say something, how would people know what you are thinking.
- If you go through life acting as if you know everything, you will have nothing to learn.
- Surrender is not an option.
2018 will have more lessons to come, and honestly, I can’t wait.