Week 1: Experts in authoritarianism advise to keep a list of things subtly changing around you, so you’ll remember.
published November 20, 2016
- Acts of hate — for the first 400 per the Southern Poverty Law Center, I could name many that I had seen covered by the media. Then I noticed the count exceeded 700, and I realized I knew very little about those additional 300.
- Reporters critique their own paper’s coverage of Trump, then delete it (see below tweet which disappeared overnight, after 2k+ retweets).
- A president-elect is openly (on Twitter!) trying to take away our freedom of expressions, First Amendment rights: targets this week include SNL, NYT, and Hamilton.
- The media, including traditional media, covered an alt-right conference and published their demands, which included a ban on immigration for 50 years of anyone not white, and an all white nation.
- Major media following Trump’s reality show storylines, instead of reporting as traditional media/journalism.
- Democrats advocating for a Mitt Romney appointment to Secretary of State — a man with whom we agree on almost nothing on policy, but because he is competent and not a racist or a bigot.
- The pace of untraditional, unorthodox acts, and conflicts of interest by Trump are coming so fast and furious, they’re barely getting coverage.
- Utter outrage by the left at the complacency and largely silence of our elected leaders. Watch of a Tea Party-esque type uprising.
- A request for tolerance for, and understanding of, white supremacists.