Week 2: Experts in authoritarianism advise to keep a list of things subtly changing around you, so you’ll remember.
published November 26, 2016
- The First Family-elect will not be living in the White House.
- Melania’s Wiki bio changed overnight to reflect she did not go to college.
- Donald Jr. met with Russia representatives in Paris to discuss Syria during the election.
- Aleppo has devolved into the worst humanitarian crisis in our lifetimes, and Putin is emboldened to tell the US to get out of the way.
- Putin has moved missiles into Kaliningrad “in response to NATO aggression” — within striking distance of Germany.
- Russian propaganda was the source of much of the “fake news” during the campaign.
- Trump has selectively been meeting with the media and grooming them by yelling at them. They all showed up for this.
- Next day he met with the NYT at their offices, and their coverage totally normalized his porous positions and outrageous actions so far.
- Trump has been furthering his business affairs and using his presidency to get licenses and other favors.
- His daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared have joined him in meetings and calls with heads of state, and other senior officials from other countries (here and here).
- Trump openly stated that he doesn’t care about conflicts of interest, and he does not feel compelled in any way to separate his business dealings from his role as president.
- Trump admitted to breaking the law! He signed off on Trump Foundation’s tax statement and now has admitted the Foundation was in violation of tax laws.
- In Wisconsin, 5k of Trump’s 27k vote lead have been proven to be fake votes.
- In true dictatorial form, Trump demands Mitt Romney publicly apologize if he wants the position of Secretary of State.
- Trump is selling Trump merchandise in Trump Tower and online, including Christmas tree ornaments.
- CNN airs a segment with subline, “Are Jews People?”
- Hate crimes continue nationwide against Muslims, Jews, women, Black, LGBTQ and Hispanic Americans. On a Delta flight, one Trump supporter screamed at Hillary bitches, and didn’t get kicked off.
- Steve Bannon received $376k from a small Foundation in Tallahassee to pay a salary for his work at Breidbart.
I’m sure there are more. This list is overwhelming already.