How to Accept Payments Online If You Can’t Use Stripe?
When I made a Mac app and Web app I was wondering if there is any easy way how I can sell them. I didn’t want to open a company in Singapore, Dubai or US. I just wanted to validate my idea quickly and see if users will pay for it.
But if you are living in one of the countries where Stripe is not supported it’s a big pain the ass :( I’m dreaming that someday I could use Stripe. I’m really jealous of people from US or Europe because they can use Stripe :D
Is there any good Stripe alternative?
Gumroad has two options: free and paid ($10 / month) with lower fees. Paddle has only one free option.
It seems like reasonably fees but let’s see what will happen if we will sell a $5 product
In the real life you would pay $0.73–$0.75 from each transaction which is 14–15% OMG WAT??? Because you will pay $0.3–$0.5 and for small price products it’s a lot so please be aware of it. Gumroad also has a $10 monthly fee.
Calculate fees for your specific product
You can play around with this sheet and change a product price and monthly sales to compare Gumroad Free VS Gumroad Paid VS Paddle for your specific case
Examples of checkout pages
- Gumroad also supports recurring subscription payments. Read more here
- Gumroad and Paddle support PayPal to charge your users (not only credit cards)
- If can’t sell any product on Paddle. Please read this list what you can’t sell otherwise they can block your account
- Paddle will charge 10% extra if they first payment wasn’t completed but they converted users with their auto email follow-ups. It’s called “Checkout recovery” — user opened email, clicked on the link and made a payment. But you can turn it off here is how
- With Paddle if you have $99 on your account you can’t withdraw it because the minimum amount to withdraw is $100 so you need to wait or buy your own product to get ≥ $100.
Is it better than just PayPal?
If you want get donations or make some quick tests if user will pay you, you can create a PayPal link like this: https://www.paypal.me/andreyazimov/2usd
PayPal has lowest fee: 2.9% + $0.3 but there is no automation from the box. You will need to make all manually like sending downloads links.
You can try to make automation with Zapier but it’s only available in Premium accounts starting from $18.33 / month + PayPal has some variable that you can pass in url to identify each payments but I didn’t try this way.
Also you can create a subscription payments with PayPal without code and business account
- Login PayPal
- Seller preferences
- PayPal buttons -> Update
- Create new button
- Type -> Subscriptions
- Add the price, period etc.
- Save and get the embedded form code!
- Add the code your page
Example of page: https://www.sheet2site.com/pay/60/
- Use Gumroad if you have a PayPal and you can withdraw money from it. This is my personal choice and I’ve been using it for two months.
- Use Paddle if you don’t have PayPal just order Payoneer card which will allow you to get money from any country. After you can connect it to Paddle you can withdraw money what ever you country from. Paddle also is supporting wire transfer you you can send directly to your bank account.
- Use PayPal for super quick payments tests.
Recently I quit my job and I have one year to get to profitability. Want to see if I reach my goal?
And follow me in Twitter
And if you’re feeling really generous, you can buy me a pack of ramen by sending $2 to my PayPal address
or become my Patron