List of Things Progressives Should Do Before Primarying Joe Manchin
After Joe Manchin voted to confirm Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, I heard that there were some calls from people on the left to primary him. Now, I wouldn’t do that. But I cannot 100% control the actions of everyone else.
So, instead, I offer a list of things I think fellow progressives should consider dedicating time, money, and energy towards before trying to knock out Manchin:
- Beat Dean Heller (Nevada)
- Find out about the other four Democratic senators in Romney-Trump states, defend some of them
- Defend the Obama-Trump state Democratic senators: Nelson (Florida), Stabenow (Michigan), Brown (Ohio), Casey (Pennsylvania), and Baldwin (Wisconsin)
- Beat Jeff Flake (Arizona), a Republican senator in a Romney state that Trump won with less than 50%
- Beat the 23 Republicans in Clinton house districts
- This year(!), take back and retain the governor’s mansions in New Jersey and Virginia, both Clinton states
- In 2018, take back the open governor’s mansions in the Clinton states of Maine, Nevada, and New Mexico
- Beat the 5 Republican governors in states Clinton won: Rauner (Illinois), Hogan (Maryland), Baker (Massachusetts), Sununu (New Hampshire), and Scott (Vermont)
- Defend the one Trump state Democratic governor: Tom Wolf (Pennsylvania)
- Take back the governor’s mansions in 5 Obama-Trump states: Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin
- Beat Doug Ducey (Arizona), a Republican governor in a Romney state that Trump won with less than 50%
- Win the governor’s mansion in Georgia, a state that Trump won with only a little more than 50%, and moved significantly towards Democrats in 2016
- This year(!), beat the 17 Republicans in Virginia state house districts that voted for Clinton
- This year(!), beat the 13 Republicans who hold Clinton districts in both the New Jersey state senate and assembly, and defend the 6 Democrats in Trump districts.
- Beat all the Republicans holding Clinton legislative districts up in 2018, and defend all the Democrats in Trump districts.
So, I hope that before progressives hop on a plane to Charleston, they consider that the aforementioned races need attention as well.
Along with the things I put in bold above, there are even more things happening this year. Pay attention to any special elections coming up, especially in Congress and in state legislatures; Georgia’s 6th Congressional district falls into the category of a district that Trump won with under 50% — a huge fall from Romney’s ~23% margin four years earlier.
Happy campaigning, y’all.