9 Benefits of the Bhagavad Gita
Arjuna, the mighty warrior in Maha Bharata is scared to lose his dear ones, friends, and relatives in the battle field. He does not want to fight. However, it is necessary to fight against adharma (unrighteousness). So, Lord Krishna who is Arjuna’s friend and philosopher, gives the self-knowledge to Arjuna in the battle field and inspires him to fight for righteousness. The conversation between Lord Krishna and Arjuna is known as Bhagavad Gita. Though this knowledge is very old, yet, it is very relevant even today. There are umpteen number of benefits one gets by understanding the essence of Bhagvad Gita.
- Transcend emotions and attend duties: Many times we are swept away by our own emotions and tend to neglect our responsibilities. Emotions keep changing but neglecting responsibility would lead to unpleasant consequences. Bhagawad Gita emphasizes on the truth and thus helps us in attending to the responsibilities.
- Get rid of ignorance through knowledge: Strangeness causes stress. Being unaware of what is permanent and impermanent, we are scared of different situations in life. Bhagavad Gita gives us the skill to come out of our ignorance and leads us to the path of knowledge. Only through self-knowledge one can be truly happy in this ever changing world.
- Inner strength: We all are empowered with inner strength and have the ability to face any situation. However, our insecurities and illusions stop us in accessing the inner strength. That is what happens with Arjuna but listening to Bhagavad Gita helps him in coming out of his fears and get in touch with his inner strength.
- Guidelines for leading a balanced life: Too much of activity tires us. Similarly, inactivity pushes us into laziness. In life, it is very necessary to strike balance between work and rest. Bhagwad Gita provides guidelineson how to strike the right balance in food, activity, and rest.
- Importance of action: Many times we keep worrying about our problems but do not get into action. Performing actions or duties without worrying about the results is the secret to get rid of from worries. In the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna gave tips to Arjuna on how to perform selfless actions.
- Meditation and yoga: Krishna talked about the importance of yoga and meditation and how they can help us in experiencing the inner peace and joy. In the present era, nobody may be standing in a battle field and fighting with enemies. However, there is a constant fight with our own mind. Winning over the mind is possible only through yoga and meditation.
- Importance of a Guru: A seeker would be staggering on the spiritual path without a master. A seeker needs someone who can help in getting away with the illusions of mind and progress in the path of knowledge. Bhagavad Gita acts like a Guru and provides the guidance to a happy life.
- Transcend the opposites: Most of the times, our mind is caught up in opposite values such as good, bad, right, wrong, and so on. In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna explains how one conscious is pervading all over and all the opposites are nothing but the manifestation of one consciousness. By pondering on the absolute, one can easily transcend above opposites.
- Rejoice in devotion: Bhakti or devotion is the easiest way to reach the Divine. With faith, one gets in touch with the inner strength and can easily tackle any tough situation. Krishna explained the power of devotion in the Bhagavad Gita.
Though the Bhagavad Gita is a vast scripture and is beneficial many ways, it is very important to listen to it in the presence of a master. This helps in reading in between the lines.
Dr. Sirisha Dabiru
Dr. Sirisha Dabiru is working as a Senior Information Developer with an MNC in Pune. She teaches Art of Living Happiness and Yoga Level 1 programs. She is an innovative cook and a gardening enthusias