Always Pay Your Rent on Time with These Simple Steps
When it comes to renting, one of the most stressful aspects can be remembering to pay all of your bills on time. Our lives can become a whirlwind of activities and responsibilities and it’s easy to get wrapped up in things that don’t revolve around finances. Always pay your rent and utilities on time with these simple steps:
1. Set yourself a monthly reminder a few days before rent is due. This will ensure that you don’t forget about your rental payment, as well as give you a few days of leeway should you be having a tight wallet month. You’ll be able to get your affairs in order and get your payment out on time.
2. If available, set up automatic transfers of payment to your landlord. Having your rent payments withdrawn automatically from your bank account can ensure you never miss a payment. This is a great way to avoid having to write and mail a physical check.
3. Use a calendar to color code all of your bills and when they’re due. This works well if you have roommates because it allows everyone to see when bills are due and stay on top of when payments should be sent out. Keeping the calendar in a public place (i.e. on the refrigerator) is often a good idea.
4. Make a spread sheet of your income and your expenses every month. As tedious as this may seem, this lets you know how much spending money you have and how much you need to save for bills. This also helps when you’re trying to save up because you can budget out a portion of each paycheck to put into your savings.
5. Share the responsibility. Often, the rent payment will come out of a single roommate’s bank account. While this is an attractive organizational feature, it can be stressful for that one person. Be sure that everyone is equally responsible for remembering and helping each other with the rent payments.
Having your own apartment is fantastic. However, it can be challenging to stay on top of all your bills. With these helpful tips, you’ll never have a late payment again.