- As a result hackers waged dozens of attacks a day to make them financially viable.
- According to the United States Justice Department, ransomware attacks quadrupled in 2016 to an average of 4,000 a day.
- Security experts said the attack on the hotel appeared to be a novel example of an increasingly malicious and prevalent type of modern-day piracy.
- For Ransom, Bitcoin Replaces the Bag of Bills JULY 25, 2015
- To guard against future attacks he said the Romantik Seehotel Jaegerwirt was considering replacing its electronic keys with old-fashioned door locks and real keys of the type used when his great-grandfather founded the hotel.
@LMJB: “”Hackers Use New Tactic at Austrian Hotel: Locking the Doors” by @DanBilefsky via @nytimes” open tweet »