- As a result hackers waged dozens of attacks a day to make them financially viable.
- According to the United States Justice Department, ransomware attacks quadrupled in 2016 to an average of 4,000 a day.
- For Ransom, Bitcoin Replaces the Bag of Bills JULY 25, 2015
- Security experts said the attack on the hotel appeared to be a novel example of an increasingly malicious and prevalent type of modern-day piracy.
- The F.B.I. said the costs to victims of such attacks rose to $209 million in the first three months of 2016, compared with $24 million throughout 2015.
@ICITorg: “Hackers Use New Tactic at Austrian Hotel: Locking the Doors — The New York Times @nytimes” open tweet »