China Wine Label and Import Requirements: Your Quick Guide Compliance on Preparing for China Wine Market
In this article, wineries looking to enter China market will find relevant information about wine labeling requirements in China along with required documents required to export your wine into China.
In this article we cover basic points required under labeling, documents needed, licenses, import procedures, taxes and important contacts.
Although pre-approval is not mandatory, China’s General Administration of Customs (GAC) can require pre-import analysis if warranted. All imported food is subject to inspection and must receive a clearance certificate by the Customs authority. The following information must be present on the label, in Chinese. Labels are required to be accurate, truthful, and non-misleading. Please note that the label must meet these requirements prior to importation. The Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) and its components is the responsible agency.
- Name/brand of product
- Ingredients list (Sweeteners, preservatives and added color — legal in the case of fortified wine only — must be declared) Exempt for products made of one ingredient.
- Net volume (ml): This should be marked as ‘net content xxx Ml (ml)’ for bottle sizes under a liter, or ‘net content x Liters (l)’ for bottle sizes over a liter. For packages up to (and including 200 ml) the minimum print height is 3 mm. From 200 ml up to and including 1 liter, the minimum print height is 4 mm. For packages greater than 1 liter the minimum print height is 6 mm.
- Alcohol content (%): The alcohol statement should be in the ‘Alcoholic strength xx.x% vol’ format.
- Production date (yy /mm/dd): The date of bottling is required on Chinese labels.
- Producer/Distributor/Importer (Name and address): The name and address of the Chinese agent, importer or distributor must be shown on the label. The name and address of the producer is not mandatory, however if included does not need to be translated into Chinese characters.
- Country of origin: A country of origin statement is mandatory. Importers will usually request a Certificate of Origin to confirm this claim.
Read more at BTN Academy