Introduction to Blockchain Engineering & Ethereum Development Resources
A ‘blockchain’ is a cryptographically secured, decentralized and distributed global ledger of transactions and assets. Most people are familiar with cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum, which use Blockchain as an underlying technology to confirm, record and track each coin to eliminate the “double-spending problem”.
Blockchain technology can be extended beyond cryptocurrencies, such as tracking real estate ownership and simplifying title transfer, with distinct advantages such as lower cost, increased transparency and decentralization.
Because of it’s many potential uses and interest in Blockchain technology, engineers with programming knowledge and experience are highly sought after and well-paid as described in a February 2018 article by TechCrunch. Increasingly we are seeing engineers from companies such as Google leave their high-paid jobs to become Blockchain engineers due to the applicability of this emerging technology.
Current Applications of Blockchain Technology:
- Medical Records Management
- Identity Verification/Privacy Management
- Tracking Food Contamination
- Preventing Land Fraud/Recording Real Estate Transactions
- Supply Chain Management
To promote knowledge and facilitate the development of Blockchain engineers I have collected many of the best resources for learning more about Blockchain and its uses and underlying technology in this post, including online courses and TED talks.
After reading this post you will have learned about one of the most interesting technologies which has the potential to drastically alter almost every industry.
Online Resources Explaining Blockchain
- Blockchain Article on Wikipedia — A great overview about the basics and theory behind Blockchain and underlying technology.
- The Authoritative Guide to Blockchain Development, an advanced deep-dive into many of the technical concepts behind Blockchain. Additionally, the strongest section of this post discusses smart contract development and security in depth. DEFINITELY worth the time to read and bookmark this article.
- 3500-word guide to Blockchain by The Next Web
- New York Times Article “Beyond the Bitcoin Bubble” — Fantastic Introduction the Ethereum/Blockchain technology from an introductory point-of-view.
- Introduction of ‘Ledger’: Blockchain Academic Journal — an Open-Source journal about the study of Bitcoin, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain.
- How Blockchain Could Change the World — A fantastic Forbes article describing the strengths of Blockchain technology such as the applicability and uses of ‘Smart Contracts’.
- Why you should learn to build blockchain apps — a Medium post by the creators of CryptoZombies — A website to learn Solidity Development — covering the growth and opportunity for decentralized DApp blockchain development, as well as suggested ways to monetize your talents through creation of a DApp or joining a larger company.
- BlockchainHeadhunter.com — Demonstrating the growth and demand for highly qualified Blockchain Engineers.
- Applications of Blockchain You Should Know — A Hacker Noon post discussing the potential use cases of Blockchain, such as identity verification, smart contracts, and voting.
Blockchain Training Courses
- Program “Hello World” smart contract/constructor on Remix, a great introduction to Ethereum Development and Blockchain Engineering.
- Programming Blockchain 2-Day Conference by Jimmy Song
- Udemy — Bitcoin and Blockchain Fundamentals — A course by George Levy and the Blockchain Institute of Technology which covers the basics of Cryptocurrency and Blockchains. A fantastic course which is a great introduction and teaches concepts in a clear and concise fashion.
- Blockchain Courses Available on Coursera
- An online course (MOOC) from EDX taught by the Linux Foundation covering Blockchain.
Blockchain Related Social Media Accounts
- Blockchain Subreddit — Fantastic resource for news related to Blockchain, Ethereum Development, etc.
- Cryptocurrency Subreddit — Huge community with high-quality posts around Bitcoin, Ethereum and other Cryptocurrency Developments
- Blockchain Engineer Twitter — My twitter account where I post and retweet important cryptocurrency related news, videos, etc. To find Blockchain and Cryptocurrency related twitter accounts to follow, visit here.
- Blockchain at Berkeley — A blog from UC Berkeley students describing technical advances in Blockchain Technology
Online Videos on Blockchain
A fantastic description of the power and ability of blockchain. Describes importance of Blockchain’s ‘immutable records’ using example of Hernando De Soto, land title and Honduran government abuse of power. Also covers improving remittance, identity/privacy and Intellectual Property protection and monetization.
A great TED Talk discussing Blockchain Technology.
The above Video is a fantastic deep dive into the technology underlying Blockchain including how the cryptography and hash works.
A fantastic video by Anthony Barker at Pycon Canada 2016 covering the Blockchains of Bitcoin, Ethereum and Stellar and their strengths/weaknesses in regard to Remittance use-case.
Thank you for reading this post and I hope you were able to learn about Blockchain technology! I intend to keep this resource up-to-date with the most valuable resources available online. If you have any questions, or further resources to add, please feel free to leave a comment below!