Collecting a Judgment in New Jersey

If you are owed a judgment in New Jersey that probably means you won a small claims court and you are now owed money by another person. Now comes the fun part of finding the best way to collect it. If you are one of the lucky few people, you will be paid from a cooperative convicted debtor. Whether you are paid in installments or paid upfront in full, at least they will actually be working with you instead of trying to find a way not to pay. If you are one of the numerous others who are working with a stubborn debtor, you may need to go a different way to get what is owed to you; such as getting a writ of execution on the personal property and wages of the defendant, levying the defendant’s bank account(s), or placing a lien against the property of the defendant.

Technical Names

You, the person who is owed a judgment in New Jersey, are known as the judgment creditor. The person who owes you the money is known as the judgment debtor, you’ll hear more about this soon.

How to Collect Your Judgment

The first thing you should do after the case has been decided is talk to the defendant. This way, you can give them the opportunity to go ahead and pay the judgment or work out a way that will be doable for the both of you. If they don’t pay or are unwilling to pay, you can then go to the court for some help.

  • Writ of Execution

This is also called “executing judgment”. It’s what happens when some of the debtor’s property or assets is given to you to satisfy what they could not pay. This may be money in bank accounts, a percentage of the debtor’s net wages, or another financial asset belonging to the debtor. You would not be able to take the debtor’s home or money they received for things like child support or Social Security, though.

  • Property Lien

If your debtor owns real property, you can turn to this. Get your judgment recorded and they will not be able to sell any real estate with a clear title until the judgment has been fulfilled. Many debtors do not own real property, however.

How to Find Your Debtor’s Assets

Of course, you need to locate a bank account, place of employment, or real estate owned by your debtor before you can use any of the methods. This requires multiple time-consuming records searches that may come up empty at the end of the day.

Here at BOOST, we think collecting on judgments is a full-time job, so we made it ours. Just submit your judgment to us and we will do the legwork for you with no upfront fees. You already took the effort to go to court and get the judgment, you shouldn’t have to do even more tedious work just to collect your money.

Submit your judgment to BOOST and we will give you peace of mind. We will collect your judgment so you can get your money back without any headaches.

This applies to the following counties:

  • Bergen County
  • Middlesex County
  • Essex County
  • Hudson County
  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Union County
  • Camden County
  • Passaic County
  • Morris County
  • Burlington County
  • Mercer County
  • Somerset County
  • Gloucester County
  • Atlantic County
  • Cumberland County
  • Sussex County
  • Hunterdon County
  • Warren County
  • Cape May County
  • Salem County