How to Shorten the Time Hiring A Players: Method #2
Whether you are a Topgrader or not, these proven methods can save you a lot of time, while maintaining the standard of hiring all high performers for ALL jobs. We keep learning from clients the time saving methods that they have discovered, so this is a series of blogs and might go on and on indefinitely!
Before explaining time saving methods, please take a couple minutes or more to learn the basics of Topgrading. Why? I want you to hire better, NOT just save time mis-hiring people! If you aren’t familiar with Topgrading, I want to get your attention: Topgrading is the best, most effective, most proven method to hire. Check out our free eGuide, multiple blogs or dozens of documented case studies and you will see that our hiring method is tried, true and proven. The average improvement in hiring HIGH performers across all companies we have worked with is 26% to 85%. Did I mention that 85% were HIGH performers and that is just the average improvement?! Okay, good… Just checking to see if you were paying attention. We are proud to say CEOs credit Topgrading’s methods for making the company more profitable. No other approach that we are aware of (and we have seen them all) have multiple case study backups, a fraction of the results Topgrading does, or CEOs saying it improved profits of the company.
Key Topgrading Steps.
1. Job Scorecard. Topgraders convert a vague job description (which is confusing and leads to mis-hires) into a Job Scorecard with clear, measurable accountabilities (and that assures better hires).
2. Recruitment. Just about everyone uses job boards; however Topgraders say their best hires come from referrals from their existing A Players.
3. Candidate Screening. In Topgrading, candidates complete your application form infused with Topgrading IP including a “truth serum” that really works. The candidate completes the application and you receive the Topgrading Snapshot, the best candidate screening tool ever created. Even before talking with candidates, Topgraders know a) the low performers have dropped out, b) the liars with fictitious resumes have dropped out, c) the full salary history of the applicants, and d) how all bosses would rate their performance. Amazing but true!
4. Phone Screen. After screening candidates with the Topgrading Snapshot, the next step is to talk to candidates for the first time in a phone screen interview to determine if it’s worth the time to bring the candidate in for a day of interviews. Phone interviews cover what the candidate is looking for and delves into the most recent two jobs.
5. Visit to the company. Topgraders typically use Competency Interviews and the Tandem (2 interviewers) Topgrading Interview during that day. The Topgrading Interview is the most revealing interview, producing accurate, verifiable insights into every competency important for the job.
6. Candidate-arranged reference calls. There is no phone tag because finalist candidates do arrange the calls. These calls are with managers YOU want to talk with who will a provide solid verification of everything the candidate said.
Here are the most important hiring truths: More than half the people hired every day turn out to be disappointments because of rampant dishonesty (C Players lie and get away with it), shallow interviews, and weak verification (reference checks are almost worthless and everyone knows it so C players can get away with fudging the truth). Topgrading assures total honesty, the most revealing Topgrading Interview, and solid verification (in reference checks millions of A Players have arranged with former managers).
But, the biggest criticism of Topgrading is the time it takes. “It’s very time consuming to bring a candidate in for a full day to conduct maybe four 1-hour competency interviews plus a 4-hour Topgrading Interview. Is the 4-hour Topgrading Interview of a manager worth the time?” Yes, because that Topgrading Interview enables you to hire 75%, 80%, or even 90% high performers! Non-Topgraders mis-hire at least half the people they hire, and each managerial mis-hires costs them $500k+ plus 200 wasted hours.
Although it will take up more time on the front end, Topgrading SAVES TIME overall because mis-hires are avoided.
Now that you are familiar with us, let’s talk about saving time and money!
Time Saving Method #2: Conduct two candidate-arranged reference calls after the phone screen, to be SURE taking the time for a tandem Topgrading Interview (4 hours for a mid-manager) is justified.
Note step #5 above: Visit to the company. Topgraders typically use Competency Interviews and the Tandem (2 interviewers) Topgrading Interview during that day. The Topgrading Interview is the most revealing interview, producing accurate, verifiable insights into every competency important for the job.
Many Topgrading Companies follow step #5, BUT: these companies have gotten to be VERY good at conducting the phone screen, so that almost all the candidates who do spend a day interviewing in person are later judged to be good, solid, viable candidates. If you are a Topgrader and sometimes conclude you should NOT have invited a candidate in for the day, use Method #2: Instead of inviting (four) candidates in for the day, including the day of interviews and then conducting reference calls after that day, conduct two of the likely six reference calls after the phone screen step. Chances are a couple of the candidates will be eliminated so you only invite in two candidates for a day of interviews, saving two full days of in-person interviews.