Onion Soup that is Not French Onion Soup. 99.9% French Free!
Serves many. Takes forever.
Things You’re Gonna Need:
3 lbs of yellow onions
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of Olive Oil
1 cup of white wine
1 cup of cooking sherry
Some sprigs of thyme
6 cups of stock/broth (chicken, beef, moose, veggie…whatever ya got)
1 TBSP. of lemon juice
1 baguette of some yummy, crusty bread
2 oz of Fontina Cheese — shredded
1/4 of parmasean
Eggs — 1 per person
Whatcha Gotta Do:
- Slice those onions. Cry a little. Cry a lot.
- Mince the garlic.
- Put the olive oil, the wine, the sherry, the onions, the garlic, and the thyme in the Slow Cooker (on High).
- Wait 7 freaking hours. Stir occaisionally to give yourself something to do.
- Pour in the broth and wait another 2 hours.
- With about 30 minutes to go, heat oven to 400° and boil a small pan of water (on the stove not in the oven…d’uh.).
- Slice the baguette in diagonals and arrange on a baking sheet. Pop in the oven for about 5 minutes, flipping over once (the toast, not you).
- When water boils take off heat. Use it to poach the eggs.
- Mix up the cheeses and then sprinkle it all over the baguette slices. Throw them back in the oven for a few minutes to get them melty.
- Pour soup into bowls. Sprinkle with parm. Drop in the poached egg.
- Arrange slices of cheesy toast in bowl or around.
- Garnish with parsley.
Originally published at Brian Gerard (Lewandowski).