7 Facts About Sushi That You Probably Don’t Know
1. Sushi grade fish that is suitable to be eaten raw must be frozen for 7 days at -4 Degrees Farenheit or flash frozen for 15 hours at -31 Degree Celsius.
2. “ Sushi” refers to rice that has been seasoned with vinegar, sugar and salt. It does not refer to raw fish.
3. In Japan, sushi is considered to be a type of fast food.
4. Sushi is meant to be eaten with hands traditonally and chopsticks are reserved for sashimi.
5. When eating, dip the fish part of sushi into soya sauce and not the rice.
6. When eating sushi, do not drench it in soya sauce. You are supposed to only lightly dip it in soya sauce to appreciate it’s natural flavour.
7. The blade of a sushi knife belonging to a professional sushi chef is sharpened everyday like the knife of a Samurai soldier.
Originally published at www.bonappetour.com on August 26, 2016.