The revolt of the back row kids
- I earlier predicted Hillary would win in a landslide and I was wrong.
2. I predicted this despite spending the last year talking to voters all over the country and hearing from them nothing but anger.
3. Along with hearing anger, I have heard very little good said about Hillary Clinton. From anyone. Black or white.
4. I hear awful things about her, outright lies and nastiness, from many Trump voters. She is hated beyond anything.
5. I hear less awful things, but still bad, from Reagan Democrats who voted for Obama. They “just don’t like her.”
6. I hear from working class whites who love Bernie. Who will not vote for Hillary. “She is in Wall Streets hands.”
7. I spend an equal time in working class black neighborhoods, & they will vote for her. With little enthusiasm.
8. Many older blacks love Bill Clinton. And that is why they are voting for Hillary.
9. Is all of this anger and tepid support for Hillary just about sexism? Partly. But it is far more than that. She is viewed as aloof & calculating. As the establishment. As the elite. She represents the front row kids.
10. She is everything everyone dislikes about the front row kids. And this election is about everyone else throwing them out.
11. Bill Clinton was a back row kid at heart. That is what he came from. (Go visit his hometown. Really.)
12. Trump is what the back row (and middle rows) often love best. Someone from the front row who joins them.
13. Not only is Trump joining them, he is shooting spitballs at the kids in the front. Making them all mad!
14. And what does team Hillary do? Goes full front row on everyone, throwing scorn. “How dare you behave so awfully! Grow up! Bad kids!”
15. That is why “basket of deplorable” was so damaging. It is exactly how everyone who isn’t in the front row thinks the front row thinks about everyone else.
16. And the thing is, as someone who was in the front row for much of my life (Wall Street banker). It is exactly how many in the front row think!
17. Hillary and the front row kids can still easily win. But only if they become a little self aware and a little humble. Offer up real ideas and admit fault, rather than just dish out condescending scorn.
18. Judging from the dismissive yells of “Racist!” of, “They are stupid”, I hear daily from smart front row kids. Hillary, and her front row supporters, are in trouble.
PS: Here is a more mathematical description of the same thing: Why Trump voters are not “Completely idiots”
PSS: Feel free to yell at me on Twitter.