Honest Organic Infant Formula & Our Founder’s Message
At The Honest Company, we believe every child deserves their best start. When it comes to feeding families, we know every detail is critical and we consider everything in our hopes to represent the next step in the evolution of nourishment. No matter what Honest product you choose to feed your family (from our breastfeeding products to our Organic Infant Formula), you can trust that we hold it to the highest standards.
But recently we have continually been under attack on our Honest Organic Infant Formula, and I wanted to personally share with you again our unapologetic commitment to children’s development, our feelings about these issues, and more education about our high quality ingredients.
Below is a message Jessica and me that was recently originally published on Honestly… The Honest Company blog.
As the parents of young children, we know what it means to want to do everything you can to give them the healthiest start possible. The time and care that we took to create and develop our Organic Infant Formula reflects a personal and professional commitment to giving families an option worthy of their confidence.
Co-Founder, Christopher Gavigan knows the pain of being unable to provide the necessary nourishment for his child. When he and his wife were told by their pediatrician that his newborn son, Luke, was experiencing “failure to thrive,” his passion for creating a safe, high-quality organic infant formula was born. Christopher spent the next several years developing the foundation upon which Honest formula would be built — a formula he indeed built for his own family. The Honest Organic Infant Formula you see today reflects the unwavering standards we maintain to ensure families can always feel secure about their product choices.
Your choices should be made with information you can trust. Recently, there has been a great deal of misinformation about our Infant Formula in the press, stemming from a lawsuit that was filed in early April — one that we wholeheartedly believe will be dismissed. We want to be upfront about the facts to ensure you are not misled.
Our Honest Organic Premium Infant Formula is:
- Fully compliant and meets all safety and nutritional standards.
- Cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and labeled with the USDA Organic Seal; the seal certifies Honest Organic Premium Infant Formula as “USDA Organic” in strict accordance with the National Organic Program.
- Manufactured according to FDA standards in an ISO 9001:2008-certified, infant formula-manufacturing facility located within the United States. Dairy ingredients are sourced from leading dairy markets, including the United States, Canada and New Zealand. The FDA-inspected facility has been producing infant formulas for more than 30 years in strict compliance with good manufacturing practices (GMP). The facility’s manufacturing team is led by top scientists, nutritionists, engineers, regulatory experts and quality assurance specialists in the industry.
- Certified organic and contains at least 95% organic ingredients as required by USDA. Any ingredients, including the 11 ingredients alleged in the suit as non-organic, are ingredients that occur naturally in breast milk, are important for infant growth and development, and are all either permitted or required by the FDA to be present in infant formula.
We stand behind the safety of our Organic Infant Formula and have used it for our own families.
While we encourage and support consumer advocacy groups in their work, we believe the group filing this lawsuit should be taking up their disagreement over existing organic standards with the U.S. government, not with Honest. It is unfortunate that some of these groups attempt to leverage the name recognition of Honest and, more specifically, Jessica Alba, to draw more awareness to their efforts. Just know that it will not distract or deter us from our mission of helping families build happy and healthy lives.
The Honest Company is committed to providing safe options that meet the needs of your family, while always upholding the standards that are our foundation and hallmark. You can trust that we spend every day dedicated to fulfilling this promise. You and your family deserve nothing less.
As always, we are here for you. Please call us at 1.888.862.8818 with any questions or concerns. Thank you for supporting us and trusting us with what matters most: your family and your peace of mind.
- Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan, Founders
For those interested in learning more about Organic Infant Formula, you can read more here.
I recently shared my family’s feeding story live on Facebook. Watch below.