Overnight Oats Recipe
As hard as I try to be, I’ve never been a morning person. And while I love the idea of waking up bright and early and having a lovely, calm morning to myself before heading to work, I can’t quite seem to get there. My alarm starts going off at 7am, and I usually drag myself out of bed around 7:35, giving me about a 25-minute dash to get ready and leave.
Maybe one day I’ll get it together and have the nice, peaceful morning I envision. For now, I’m going to stick with planning ahead or the night before to make sure I start my day with a healthy breakfast.
My go-to, make-ahead breakfast is overnight oats. It is so easy to throw together in the evening and toss in the fridge, ready to grab as you are running out the door in the morning. The best part is that you can easily change it up by choosing different mix-ins and toppings.
This recipe is packed with protein, soluble fiber, and healthy fats to keep your blood sugar steady and keep you full until lunchtime.
- Oats — complex carbohydrates + soluble fiber
- Chia / hemp seeds — healthy fats + protein
- Nuts / nut butters — healthy fats + protein
- Greek yogurt — protein
- Fruit — antioxidants + vitamins + minerals
Check out the recipe and my meal prep tips below!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew)
- 4–5 drops liquid stevia
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- (Optional) 1 spoonful nonfat Greek yogurt
Choose your favorite mix-ins + toppings:
- Fruit (fresh / frozen)
- Chia/hemp seeds
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Cocoa powder
- Cacao nibs
- Granola — granola can be high in sugar — don’t use too much :)
raspberries + almond butter + vanilla extract
banana + peanut butter + cocoa powder
blackberries + almond butter + unsweetened shredded coconut
apples + peanut butter + granola
- Combine oats, chia seeds, and cinnamon in a container or mason jar.
- Stir in your favorite nut butter and liquid stevia.
- Add coconut or almond milk (+ optional Greek yogurt for creamier oats).
- Layer your toppings of choice.
- Cover and store in the fridge overnight (or up to 6 hours for liquid to absorb).
- Top with a sprinkle of granola in the morning, if desired.
When preparing multiple batches:
Combine all ingredients except for coconut / almond milk + toppings in 5 containers or mason jars. Assemble 3 overnight oats as stated above. Store all containers in the fridge (even the 2 that are not yet prepared). Prepare the last 2 overnight oats on Wednesday evening for the rest of the week.