ARE YOUR HAMSTRINGS TIGHT?
TIGHT HAMSTRINGS CAN WREAK HAVOC ON THE BODY!
MY ACHING HAMSTRINGS!
Do you have tight hamstrings?
Today’s blog is dedicated to my buddy Jay! He is a recent hamstring “puller” and was looking for some help.. and here it is!
Have you ever seen somebody bend over to tie their shoe and it literally can take 3–5 seconds for them to bend down?
I always get a kick out of watching that!
So many of the aches and pains in our body can be avoided with a little day to day work on flexibility, mobility, and soft tissue work. We just have to make the time!
Let’s talk hamstrings for a minute. Often pulled by athletes that play power sports such as baseball and football.
The acceleration in these sports is so spontaneous and aggressive that when combined with shortened hamstrings, an underutilized glute complex, and tight hip flexors… the end result is a pop!
Let’s talk prevention for a minute. How do we prevent hamstring strains?
1. Foam Rolling/ Soft Tissue flushing of the Lower Body
2.Avoid Shortening Exercises like Leg Curls
3.Stretch your Hip Flexors and Quads Daily!
4.Strengthen your Glutes Daily!
5.Improve your overall conditioning levels so you can sustain work over longer periods of time
6. Stretch Your Hamstrings on Multiple Angles: Seated, Kneeling, and Standing
Now if you happened to have pulled your hamstring, here is the immediate care:
1. If you have black and blue bruising, see an Orthopedic!
2. Ice with compression immediately after you hear the POP.
3. Rest for 48–72 hours so the muscle can heal.
4. After the rest period, start using heat on the muscle.
5. Begin very gentle stretching.
6. Using massage cream, gently massage the muscle up and down with the striations of the muscle.
7. Begin Biking, starting with 5 minutes if pain free, then add 1 minute each day for the next 15 days.
8. Ice after every treatment.
I hope that helps you guys! I will post some videos on my website that you can use to guide your process! https://danacavalea.com/blogs/train-like-a-pro/are-your-hamstrings-tight #trainlikeapro
** If you don’t feel comfortable with a self treatment, you can see a Physical Therapist at a place like PROFESSIONAL PT who can guide your rehab!
Originally published at danacavalea.com.