Quiz: Madea or Medea?
Two legendary women.
Two enduring myths.
Two fictional characters with names that sound the same and are almost spelled the same, like, so much so that you have to wonder if one inspired the other… unless you’ve only heard of one of them, and you know what? You probably have only heard of one of them because, let’s be honest, there’s probably not a ton of overlap between their two audiences.
Let’s find out!
Below, I’ve compiled a list of facts, some about the star of an ancient Greek myth and a famously brutal play, some about the one-woman-franchise Entertainment Weekly referred to as “the profane, gun-toting granny you never had but (maybe) wish you did.” (The lines are blurring already!)
Can you tell the difference between these two fearsome females?
Madea or Medea: Can You Tell the Difference?
(Answer key at bottom)
1. a sorceress who was the daughter of King Aeëtes of Colchis, niece of Circe, granddaughter of the sun god Helios, and later wife to the hero Jason
2. a tough elderly black woman
3. literally murders her children to get revenge on her unfaithful husband
4. she tricked her children into cutting a man into pieces
5. those last two were about the same person hint hint! BUT WHICH ONE IS IT?
6. buried nine husbands, among them Jimmy and Johnny
7. poisoned King Creon and his daughter the totally-normally-and-contemporarily named Glaus, the sidepiece her husband was banging. This bitch don’t fuck around!
8. you’re not so sure about that one, right? I mean, that sounds like it could be either one, right?
9. the subject of an eponymous play by Euripedes, a classical Greek tragedian
10. the subject of a popular movie franchise with such titles as: Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Madea Goes to Jail, I Can Do Bad All By Myself, Madea’s Big Happy Family, Madea’s Witness Protection, Boo! A Madea Halloween
11. shit, the answer is in some of those
12. fuck it let’s keep going
13. I mean you either already knew and are enjoying this absurdity or the entire thing is a waste of time anyway
14. after she murders her kids, she steals their bodies so her husband can never hold them again I mean WTF this bitch is twisted!
15. (she absconds with the bodies in the chariot of the sun god Helios but I feel like that one’s kind of a giveaway so forget it and please ignore this)
16. um, actually, let’s not keep going. Sorry. I got nothing left on Madea. Truth be told I’ve never even seen any of those movies; I got all that info from Wikipedia! My bad.
17. Oh, wait! I do have one more…
18. is Tyler Perry dressed up as a grandma
HAVE YOU FIGURED IT OUT?
(Answer key: You can’t be serious.)