As I travel back from the most amazing journey of my life…
This is a letter written to myself while on my flight home from Paris . It was a spare of the moment reflection on my 2.5 week backpacking trip across Europe (the thoughts are kind of deep just an FYI). The trip started in Paris, went to Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Amsterdam and eventually back to Paris.
As I travel back from the most amazing journey of my life I just want to take a moment and think about what happened and what I learned.
- I learned that there is no hiding. I am who I am and there is no reason to be ashamed of that. I tried things and did things I never thought possible (as cliche as that sounds). I am not going to hide them anymore. I am an amazing person and this entire trip showed me that. No matter what I did it doesn’t matter and the people I met won’t care.
- I also bring the party or bring people together. My personality just attracts people. I will hang with anyone at anytime and do anything. Never leave a fellow alone and never judge. Be honest and include everyone!
- I love making emotional connections with people and really figuring out what makes them tick. All the talk about weather, sports and work couldn’t mean less. It’s the beliefs and values people have that make the difference.
- Give to the people who need it most and always leave a lasting impression. I may not be the most out going but I will try and understand people and where they are coming from.
- People pass away and I get it now. There is no going back. Only moving forward.
- Find a way to do what you love all the time. Don’t care about small shit. Only care about making a difference in lives and the world. Petty arguments or getting upset about shit does nothing. Enjoy life because I am 31 and have never experienced anything a solo backpacking trip with no plan before. I can’t believe so many of my friends won’t get a chance experience it.
- People are amazing and they can surprise you in so many amazing ways.
- Live in the moment and always be positive. Its all a mindset. If you want to have the best time of your life sitting on the couch at home by yourself I bet you could easily do that if you have the correct mindset.
- Stop going with the plan. There is no plan. The plan is what you make of it. If one day you feel like doing this or that then just do it. Doing stuff for yourself isn’t selfish. It’s all that matters in life. If you don’t want to do something then don’t. There isn’t enough time to waste on everything else.
The trip was originally supposed to be 10 days but was extended for an extra week. Travel arrangements and hostels were booked a day or two before. All the cities visited were made from recommendations of other travels met in previous hostels. Everyone met was amazing!