This Week In Tech: New Shades Edition
Warby Parker scores a win, Elon Musk unveils Tesla Energy, and more, in our weekly news round-up.
By the Dave Partners Team
Good morning! As always, we’re getting you ready for the week ahead by rounding up the biggest and best stories of the week.
1) This week’s big funding winner is a stand-out of the NYC start-up scene: Warby Parker, the uber-hip eyeglass maker, raised $100 million in Series D funding — making it part of the exclusive $1 billion unicorn club. NYC tech just keeps getting hotter!
2) Speaking of NYC start-ups: Tech Cocktail’s excellent piece on the importance of mentors in start-up culture includes a few tips from our own CEO, Dave Carvajal.
3) Microsoft’s Build conference has included a ton of new information about their future plans — and a live demo of their buzz-worthy HoloLens interface. Microsoft is definitely rescuing itself from its reputation of being a staid, old-fashioned company — in part by taking a few cues from the start-up world.
4) Of course, when you think of wild and innovative technology, you think of Elon Musk. Which is why we’re so excited about his latest offering: A clean energy home battery he’s calling “Tesla Energy.”
5) And finally, it’s the end of a long week. If you’re feeling more stressed than usual, we recommend lifting your spirit with this list of reasons why everyone wants to be a start-up entrepreneur.