It was a late evening of late 2005. I had this conversation with the only cool dude roommate.
Cool_Dude: Areey, I blog.
Dhruv, the muggle: Means? Whats a blog?
Cool_Dude: It means you write online. You write about anything under the sun. Could be a diary or a shayri, could be a rant or an advt for rent. Anything.
Dhruv, the wheres-the-money: Ok, whats the benefit?
Cool_Dude: Well, I am doing it as part of my MBA entrance exam preparation.
Dhruv notes. For MBA entrance exam, one should blog, and misplaces the note somewhere.
Cut to 2017, humming ‘Here I am, this is me’, mustering the effort to start a blog.
What is a blog? Its a short form of web-log. A log on the web, ie internet. This is a bookish definition.
A more relevant one-liner is ‘Your writing pad, seen in public. Readers give feedback through comments or likes/claps/thumbs-up/thumps-down.’
Why now? Well, I am late.
On what will I write?
Blogs are broadly of these types:
1. Focused — Dedicated towards a specific topic/activity/interest area. For eg., travel blog talks of travel experiences; food blog talks of recipes, food reviews; financial blog talk about all thing financial; and so on.
2. Company-owned — Acts as company’s mouthpiece on latest news and views.
3. Dear diary — A personal account of one’s life.
I will attempt to write, predominantly to,
- share information
- share experiences
- channelize constant commentary running in my mind
- increase understanding and depth of few areas, as writing will require a good amount of groundwork
So, it won’t be a focused blog, neither would it be a diary equivalent. It would be a loosely stitched collection of my experiences, thoughts and opinions. Chances are very bleak that it would morph into ‘Life and its hidden meanings’ or a clickbait or ‘Safal hone k 101 tarike’.
Where will I blog?
I thought of having an exclusive site for it, but i am not too confident if the efforts of developing and maintaining are worth it, as of now. So, to start with, I will use medium.com.
Cool. Lets the go begin.