Gnocchi, tender potato and flour puffs, made a frequent appearance on my dinner table before we went gluten-free, but alas, once we went gluten-free, finding any to purchase was difficult. They are so quick to get on the plate. It isn’t truly hard to make, a combination of potatoes and flour, kneaded together to form a dough just a bit softer than pie dough. Now with Bob’s Red Mill cup for cup replacement flour, making a batch is almost as easy as purchasing.
I do take the time to make two batches at once, then chill the second batch for a truly quick dinner later in the week.
The herb cream sauce with pimentos stirs together in minutes.
Idaho© Potato Gnocchi in Pimento Herb Cream Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Dr. Jean Layton from www.drjeanlayton.com
Herb cream sauce
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons minced herbs- parsley, rosemary, thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced pimentos or fresh red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Stir together in a sauce pot, bring to a simmer and hold for the gnocchi to be cooked.
- 2 lb.Idaho© russet potatoes (about 4 medium), scrubbed
- 1–1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill© Cup for Cup flour, more for kneading and rolling
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons salt for adding to the cooking water
Directions: Click on through to the Idaho Potato Commission site for the directions. http://ift.tt/2d0x2gd As a proud Idaho Potatoes Food Blogger, I was compensated to develop this recipe.
Originally published on