Are You Communicating In A Clear Way?
Does your team understand what you are saying? Consider this: I have studied successful companies for over a decade and although they all have different stories, there is one thing that is common among successful companies. The leaders of these companies are able to communicate in a clear and concise manner.
The good news about this is that each of us can improve our communication skills. But before we can improve our skills, we need to know what good communication is.
By definition the word communication means:
*the act or process of using words, sounds, signs, or behaviors to express or exchange information or to express your ideas, thoughts, feelings, etc., to someone else
Notice that communication is not just the words you use, but your body language, expressions, and how you demonstrate your ideas and feelings. Learning how to communicate in these various ways will drastically improve your communication skills.
Clear communication is vital to building a strong team and a lasting organization. Here are what I believe to be 5 essentials for better communication:
1. Have a clear objective. What is the point I want everyone to walk away with?
2. Know your audience. Who am I conveying this message to?
3. Be creative. Use different styles, audio, video, pictures and stories to convey your message.
4. Ask for feedback. Ensure everyone walks away knowing the end result.
5. Use another voice. This is a great way to communicate as well. Have someone else communicate an idea, new philosophy or change.
How do you measure up when it comes to communicating? Just remember, learning to communicate better is a skill that each of us can learn. I work each year with many leaders, CEO’s and organizers to help them improve their communication skills. They understand how vital being able to express themselves in a way that is compelling as well as understandable is key to their company success.