“2-BULLET TUESDAY” Newsletter — 50-state Solar Market, EV vs. Oil Demand (Calculator), 11 Smart Home Devices, & Home vs. Stock Investment
We hope you enjoy our most recent digest on clean energy, finance, business tips, trivia, and (attempts at) humor.
Quote for the day:
“If people like you, they’ll listen to you.
But if they trust you, they’ll do business with you.”
— Zig Ziglar
- Food for thought: For just a second, forget the left brain. Forget the hard analytical skills. Instead, what are you doing to build trust and likability? Dale Carnegie, here we come.
- Drop me an email
- Forward this newsletter to one friend today: They can sign up here
- Just enjoy your coffee and read on
Have a great week.
Chris Wedding, PhD
Managing Director, IronOak Energy Capital
Founder, Invest for Impact Academy
CLEAN ENERGY FINANCE
Illinois Ain’t California:
But It’s Getting Attention from National Solar Players
- The headline is the smallest part of this story: Vivint, the national residential solar player, announced plans to open up its services in Illinois. But the bigger picture is that cheap solar power is slowly converting the U.S. from a 10-state market to a 50-state market. This infographic from the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) shows the top 10 U.S. states as of early 2017. Note two things: (1) The #10 state, New York, had just 5% of the solar capacity as the #1 state, California. #LongTail, (2) Illinois today ranks #35 out of 50. #Don’tBlink | Source: Solar Power World (Kelsey Misbrener)
ELECTRIC VEHICLE IMPACTS
Should Oil Giants Worry?
Here’s a Calculator
- UK think tank Carbon Tracker’s new EV Oil Displacement Tool lets users “experiment with three key variables to see how different future scenarios could play out.” Is 2030 peak oil? Will the gradual rise of EVs allow oil majors to pivot their Titanics gradually? This 2-minute video talks you through it. (And, yes, the British accent gives me much greater confidence that their projections are accurate.) | Source: InsideEVs (Evannex / Charles Morris)
PRODUCTIVITY & BUSINESS
SMART HOME DEVICES
11 of the Best Choices:
Cleverness vs. Silliness
- Who can argue with smarter homes after we’ve seen how much smarter (more distracted?) we’ve all become with smart phones. (Yep, raise those hands.) In this list-blog, peruse 11 ways to spend a few hundred bucks, reduce power consumption, and maybe even have your privacy stolen. As one product notes, with its smart product, you can now “order a pizza and create a shopping to-do list — without ever leaving your couch.” That’s what we all need — another reason to not get off the couch. And I think I could have done those things with a phone, pencil, and paper, too. #RedefineSmart | Source: Hubspot (Caroline Forsey)
Your Home vs. Public Stocks:
Which Performs Better?
- If you want to geek out on personal finance, this well known blogger drops the mic by tearing down another author’s assertions — about consistent 8% annual appreciation in home values — with phrases like “[this] is pure unadulterated bullshit. And it’s dangerous bullshit.” He has inserted a helpful graph showing how investment in public equities has compared historically to investments in your home equity. #DamnStatistics | Source: Get Rich Slowly (JD Roth)