“2-BULLET TUESDAY” Newsletter — Private Equity & Batteries, Who’s Investing in Storage? 11 Tips for Better Sales Writing, & How to Learn Faster
I hope you enjoy our most recent 4-minute read on energy finance, startups, lifehacks, and wit.
Quote for the Day:
- “The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil.” — Thomas A. Edison
Have a great week.
Chris Wedding, PhD
Managing Director, IronOak Energy Capital
Founder, Invest for Impact Academy
CLEAN ENERGY FINANCE
Private Equity Jumps In:
“Several Hundred Million Dollar” Acquisition
- Energy Capital Partners (ECP) recently acquired Convergent Energy + Power, an energy storage developer with lots of activity up in Ontario, eh. With 300+ early stage battery companies valued at about $6M on average (Angellist), a PE-sized investment in the sector is kind of a big deal. And to have that PE firm be ECP, with $16B+ raised to date, makes it an even bigger validation of the sector. Now…minor detail: Can energy storage infrastructure, with the nascency of its revenue contracts and to-be-tested performance and warranties over the long term, deliver PE-style financial returns? — Source: Utility Dive (HJ Mai)
Names and Lessons Learned
- Who’s leading the way so far in this trend towards $620B invested in the battery sector by 2040 (Bloomberg)? In my recent article at Renewable Energy World, I highlight sample investors in various battery categories: M&A, flow, long duration (non-flow), solid state, and Chinese companies. I also list six lessons learned from past battery failures. After reading it, let’s see if you’re a glass half full or half empty kind of person. Anybody feel like “going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you?” (Zig Ziglar)
PRODUCTIVITY & BUSINESS
11 Tips for Writing Better:
Your Headline is Everything
- If you want people to read your emails, blogs, reports, or podcast notes, instead of yawning and moving on, then this short article is worth a scan (Allison Davis via Inc.com). Consider a quote from the advertising guru David Ogilvy: “Five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy…[so]…unless your headline sells your product, you have wasted 90% of your [time, money].”
LEARNING NEW STUFF
And the Award for Coolest Dude in the World Goes to…
- Before you read on, first stand up, take the “Superman/woman” pose, and inhale deeply. OK, now prepare to feel inadequate. This guy is an “8-time US National Chess Champion, a 2-time World Champion in Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands, the 1st Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt under 9-time World Champion Marcelo Garcia,” as well as a father and husband. I mention him because of the title of his interview on the Tim Ferriss Show: How to Cram 2 Months of Learning into 1 Day. Since we’re falling behind if we’re not learning something new, perhaps give it a listen on your vacation drive this summer.