The 3 Must-Have Blogging Tools for Tech Companies
When you’re in a competitive and hard-to-explain industry (like B2B technology), getting your blog to rank high in Google can be a challenge.
What if your blog posts aren’t performing as well as expected? Besides good ol’ trial and error, how do you know where there’s room for improvement?
Here are three of our favorite helpful inbound marketing tools technology companies can use to improve their blogs…try them out for yourselves!
1) HubSpot’s Keywords Tool
Assuming your potential customers aren’t using Google to search directly for your business name, how do you know what they ARE searching for? And do you even stand a chance at ranking for those keywords?
Enter HubSpot’s Keywords tool, which will show you the number of monthly searches and difficulty score for each phrase. Your “sweet spot” keywords will be those with a low difficulty score (under 65) AND a high-ish number of monthly searches.
(Not a HubSpot customer? You can get a free 30-day trial of their Keywords tool by using this link. Or we also love the always free Google Keyword Planner.)
Here’s a real-life example for how a cybersecurity company might use HubSpot’s Keywords tool.
HubSpot’s Keywords Results
Cybersecurity = 12,100 monthly searches, 99 difficulty
Cybersecurity firms = 140 monthly searches, 87 difficulty
Cybersecurity technology = less than 10 monthly searches, 73 difficulty
Cybersecurity solutions = 40 monthly searches, 64 difficulty
- “Cybersecurity” alone has the highest possible difficulty score (avoid at all costs!).
- “Cybersecurity firms” has a good amount of monthly searches, but is still too difficult to rank for.
- “Cybersecurity technology” is less competitive, but there are only a handful of people searching for that term (which isn’t the worst thing), but the difficulty is still too high.
- “Cybersecurity solutions” is the best option being the least competitive term with a decent amount of monthly searches.
2) HubSpot’s Blog Post Optimize Tool
Once you’ve identified your list of “sweet spot” keywords, let’s make sure your blog posts are maximizing those terms by using HubSpot’s Optimize tool for blog posts.
(Sorry, no free trial for this one, though you could go through the same checklist manually.)
This optimizer helps your blog improve in search engine rankings by making sure your:
- Title is under 70 characters and contains a keyword
- Meta description is under 155 characters and contains a keyword
- Url contains a keyword
- Post features an image with an alt tag
- Body copy contains the right number of keywords and a call-to-action
3) Button Optimizer’s Free CTA Button Generator
A potential customer has just finished reading your blog post…now what? If they’re at the bottom of your page without a call-to-action, they’ve reached a virtual dead end and will leave your site.
If you know what you want visitors to do (read another blog post, download a content offer, etc.), but just don’t have the design skills to make a pretty CTA button, then check out this free call-to-action button generator.
Go ahead and play designer…customize text, change the color, add an icon. When you’re finished, you can download your new button as a png file (an image you can upload yourself) or copy the CSS code that your developer can insert on your website.
There you have it…three super helpful blogging tools our agency uses for all of our B2B software and technology clients. Now that you know our secrets, go out and optimize that blog post!
Originally published at blog.kiwicreative.net.