Yet Another Productivity System
I’ve really enjoyed using Medium lately as a way to p̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ learn about how to be more productive/just be a better person. I find myself oftentimes just going through my feed mindlessly collecting a stash of tabs and then reading through them all only sometimes gaining useful things from this. In the attention based economy we live I might as well be burning a pile of my AttentionBucks™ on the front lawn. But the Medium community is full of smart people so I’m assuming the problem isn’t with all of you, it’s probably with me. So what am I changing?
Using time as a way to read with purpose.
I get two fifteen minute breaks at my job, along with a half hour lunch break. As a technician I am supporting others, so my schedule is based around everyone else. This can mean a lot of potential down time some days, and other days only having a moment or two to myself. I needed a system to better structure my free work time so I’m still using it to actually better myself versus just refreshing Reddit or Medium.
3x10 Minute Breaks, 2x15 Minute Breaks, 1x30 Minute Breaks***
The 10 minute breaks are meant for while I’m waiting for someone else to get something I need done or arrive. These should be things I can do on my phone or on the move. For example:
- Listen to part of a podcast
- Make a blog post outline
- Brainstorm two-three tweets
- Actually enjoy the outdoors
I plan on using at least one of the 15 minute breaks to go for a walk and clear my head. I just m̶i̶n̶d̶l̶e̶s̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶m̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ read an article about how people who take daily walks are more successful. Getting the time to get away from the screen and actually generate some Vitamin D is pretty nice. As for the second 15 minute break I’m thinking of either:
- Outlining or editing a blog post (guess how this one was written!)
- Look at my short and long term goals and consciously make a note of how I’m progressing towards them.
- Allow myself to day dream about a cool idea and take notes about it, even if it’s ridiculous
The half hour break I’m going to either be for the wind down when I get home, or before bed. Something along the lines of either:
- Attempting to continue to wade through Dune. It’s so good but I’m so bad at sticking with it.
- Continuing Free Code Camp’s course, I’m really liking the structure of it.
- Finishing up a blog post and actually publishing, I like the sounds of pocket content plus I won’t ever get shit done if I continuously just think about it.
So there you have it folks my Bullet Proof Three Tiered Productivity Power House. Just starting today so I’ll update with a week from now to let you all know how it goes.
***Help me come up with a better word than break, the time is meant to be bettering myself
Don’t press that heart button unless you actually liked this article, make me work for it.