Donald Trump will make America worse
I love my country. I’m upset about Trump’s election because I believe that America will suffer. Here’s a list of some of the ways I expect this suffering to be apparent.
- The unemployment rate will be higher (4.6% in November 2016; Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- Median household income will be lower ($56,516 in 2015; US Census).
- Wealth inequality will increase (the US Gini Coefficient is 80.56; Allianz).
- The incarceration rate will increase (21.5 per 1,000 people were estimated to be in prison at the end of 2014; Bureau of Justice Statistics).
- Women will earn a smaller percentage of what men earn. (The median value of weekly earnings from full-time work for women was 82% of that for men in Q3 2016; Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- Fewer adult US citizens will be able to meet state voting requirements (I haven’t been able to find a good nationwide estimate of this — watch this space).
- The national teen pregnancy rate will increase (26.5 births per 1,000 females aged 15–19 years in 2013; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
- The uninsured rate will increase (11.0% in Q2 2016; Gallup).
- US life expectancy will decrease (78.8 years in 2015; National Center for Health Statistics).
- The average global temperature continue to increase (exceeding 1990's global surface temperature — relative to 1951–1980 average temperatures — of 0.44 °C; NASA).
- Sea levels will continue to rise (the global mean sea level, with seasonal signals removed, will continue to exceed year 2000 values; NOAA).
I’m not implying that these are the most important issues in the country, or that bean counting is the best way to measure our nation’s health. I’m simply focusing on things that are easy to measure in order to make concrete, testable predictions, because evidence matters.
I also believe that Trump’s policies will disproportionately affect minorities. This topic is being addressed by authors who are more qualified than me.
People change their beliefs to justify their own past actions. If you think that Trump will improve my country, tell me how today. Tell me that you disagree with all my predictions of how it will be harmed. I will hope that you’re right.