The Girl on the Train
Do you read in English? When was the last time you read a book in English? From cover to cover? If English is not your native language, reading in English may seem daunting and off-putting.
To get you started, I encourage that you read the book ‘The girl on the train’ which was #1 user-rated book in 2015 according to Goodreads in Mystery/Thriller genre. It remained a New York Time’s bestseller for several weeks.
If you watched the movie ‘Gone Girl’ masterfully directed by David Fincher and loved it. Then you are bound to love the ‘Girl on the train’.
Reasons why you should read The girl on the train:
- The language is very simple and straight-forward. Everything is told from the first person, no lenghty descriptions or digressions.
- The book is interesting and captivating. A real page turner, you’ll be surprised how fast you can go through it.
- If you are tired of phisolophical, thought-proviking books, the girl on the train is a perfect choice.
- Since the book is written in plain English (I’ve said that already), it will boost your confidence in English, and perhaps put you into the habit of reading routinely in English.
- It’s an international bestseller for God’s sake! Read it already!
To sum it up, if you want to master the English language, you must read books. Although if you don’t want to be discouraged quickly, you need to pick the books carefully and think of the languge they are written in.
For instance, I consider myself fluent in English with an arsenal of high-level vocabulary. Well, I was morally shatterd when I was reading George Orwell’s 1984. It’s a hyped book that should be on everyone’s reading list, according to many sources. The language in this book is just too scholarly, academic, loaded with lenghty descriptions.
I was literally forcing myself into reading it, and honestly, I abandoned the book 10–15 pages short of the ending.
Tastes differ, and the book I’m recommending may not be alligned with your concept of what a good book is. But if you’re learning English and looking for some light reading — you absolutely must read it.