Hi there. I’m a Democrat. Medium saw fit to put your words before me, so I suppose I’ll respond. I’m actually quite happy to put my talking points in front of people with different views; the problem, I’ve found, is that it often ends up being a lot of effort for very little return.
- Donald Trump has a bit of a history with racial discrimination. It’s okay to defend him from accusations that he’s racist- and maybe you’re right! But Trump has done an awful job at protecting himself from accusations of racism. When David Duke endorsed him for president, Trump didn’t condemn the KKK. When the Charlottesville attack happened, he made it sound as though fistfights and killing people by driving a car into them were somehow on the same level of violence. He also said that racists were “fine people”. While this still doesn’t mean he’s a racist- he hasn’t said himself that he hates people from other races- it certainly doesn’t reflect well on him.
- You’re right that we Democrats have gotten bad at talking with people. I’m actually kind of scared of bringing politics up with some of the members of my family- because they tend to react and lash out based on emotions, rather than based on logic.
- What do “American Values” stand for, to you?
- You talk about Democrats trying to preserve their “enormous wealth” and “give trinkets to the lowly american serf class”, but to me that description fits the upper-class Republicans far more accurately. The healthcare bill was written as a massive tax break for the rich- and it would have cost the rest of us far, far more, with millions losing their health insurance entirely.
- I am fairly certain that Republicans are the ones who don’t understand what Free Speech means. Here is the first amendment for you:
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
Free speech means that you can say whatever you want and not get arrested for it. It does not mean that you can say whatever you want and face no consequences for it. It does not give anyone a right to a platform. Medium could take this response off the web if they wanted, and that is perfectly within their rights.
- The electoral college exists as the final judge of whether or not a presidential candidate is a worthy candidate. Their sole reason for existing is to vote counter to the popular vote, should they find the candidate unworthy. If they voted counter to the popular vote, that’s not the “end of democracy”- that’s them doing their job.
- I’m curious, what do you hail as the “objective” media on the right? Breitbart? The Daily Stormer? Fox News? Every accusation that you’ve leveled at Soros could equally be leveled at the Koch brothers, by the way.
- Violence after controversial elections isn’t restricted to just Democrats.
- What sources are you looking at that say that Soros pays protestors? Snopes and Politifact have debunked it.