7 Tips For A Positive Divorce, Advice From Holistic Divorce Coach And Family Law Attorney, Maria Akopyan
Divorce is not the outcome anyone expects or wants when they say, “I do”, and the pain and emotional rollercoaster that surrounds a breakup of a marriage and family can drive decisions made from anger, or damaged emotions. Family law attorney Maria Akopyan founded Dignified Divorce Coaching to help guide women through a divorce in a holistic way that fosters healing, personal growth, and self-love. A one-of-a-kind approach combining therapy, law, spirituality, and life coaching, the program leads women through the phases of divorce with a fully comprehensive, holistic mindset helping them empower themselves and find happiness and peace post-divorce.
Akopyan offers some general advice below to women who want to experience a positive and smooth divorce.
7 Tips Towards Achieving A Positive Divorce
- Manage emotions first – Work with a therapist, support group, or divorce coach to work through and manage emotions so they do not drive a messy divorce based on rash decisions.
- Get organized – Divorce is an intricate process that requires a lot of documentation. Make sure you keep clear records of everything that is happening, especially what is being spent to work through the divorce to make sure it is cost-effective.
- Invest in your education – Divorce is going to impact every area of your life, learn about the process so that you are not surprised along the way and can make healthy decisions. Things you never wanted to know about like child support, custody, alimony, personal finance, real estate, therapy, co-parenting, conflict management, all these can come up in divorce, learning how they work is essential.
- Make a financial plan – Divorce means splitting up marital assets like homes, cars, investments, etc., however, it also means making a financial plan for the future. Think about this with the end in mind, what kind of life you want, what you need financially from this divorce to survive now and to be self-sustaining in the future.
- Set realistic divorce goals – Setting realistic expectations and goals for the outcome of your divorce is going to help focus both parties on what they want from the divorce. Identifying what issues have the most impact on the rest of your life and matter the most can guide the process to a more optimistic outcome.
- Establish a team – Divorce is not something you need to experience alone. A team made up of lawyers, therapists, financial advisors, personal growth coaches, realtors, personal support, and more are going to carry you through this process. Choose a team that is going to serve you positively as you transition to the next phase of your life.
- Work on reclaiming your power and your life – It is so easy to forget about yourself and lose your own power in divorce. It can become all about the money, reliving what went wrong, full of negative emotions. Commit yourself to positive growth, surpassing the old patterns, mindsets, and fears that held you back. Empowering yourself by focusing on positive growth is going to move you forward with positive intent and help make the best decisions for yourself and your children.
Akopyan has a passion for helping people, as she says family law is where the true pain and emotions are felt. She finds that helping people transform from a state of suffering to being empowered is her life’s purpose. She knows a peaceful, dignified divorce is possible, and she is striving to take away the negative experiences many women have by showing them how to navigate the process in a unique way. Her whole picture approach provides a path forward with hope and empowerment, rather than devastation and lifelong pain. Connect with her on Facebook, and Instagram, and visit her website for free resources such as her Divorce Checklist and her free training that covers the 3 crucial steps for divorcing smoothly, peacefully and cost-effectively.