Social experiment to live without a phone

comes to an end today.

In a century that cell phones are almost an oxygen, I’ve decided to do a mini-social-experiment of living without a phone. And that is what I did for the past four months.

Thankfully, I was able to change all important work communications via email, skype and twitter DM. (That went well except some PR agencies kept calling on a landline)

Observations;

Deep conversation: They say eyes are the windows to the soul. I’ve had more face to face conversations with people who matter to me looking them in the eye, rather than occasional staring at my phone to send a quick text midway.

I almost owned everyone’s phone: Literally I’ve crowdsourced more phones that I thought it was possible. (Side note: It forced me to remember all important phone numbers). In a time of urgency, I can walk up to anyone and ask them if I could make a quick call. To my surprise 95% of the time people gladly offered up their phone. The rest 5% don’t’ have a balance or looked at me with a weird face and moved on. What caught me off guard is, 50% of the time right after I ended a call, the phone owner will strike a conversation about “how is it possible to live without a phone?”. That conversation leads to exchange of emails and hearing their story, what he/she do, what are their hopes/fears. That way I’ve made quite a few acquaintances that wasn’t possible if it was just me & my phone were left alone.

Priorities: When I stripped convenience of communication. The most important things in my life surfaced up like a cream. I was able to devote my undivided attention to what mattered, instead of what pop-ed up as a notification.

I became intentional: If I made a plan to meet someone changing it last minute is out of a question, I’ll stick to it.

Show your support

Clapping shows how much you appreciated Emmanuel Amberber’s story.