Why I Love Cold Showers
Basically, our skin is made of three layers: epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue. The epidermis is first layer and mostly composed of skin cells loaded with keratin, the same substance that makes up your hair and nails. These cells, called keratinocytes, not only act as a tough defence against the environment but also help your skin retain moisture. Your body produces a thin layer of oil to help keratinocytes retain the skin’s moisture. Having a cold shower protects this layer while hot shower on the other hand will damage this layer.
Enough with the scientific explanation. Among the benefits of having cold showers are:
- Keep your skin and hair healthy: Cold water will help your skin and hair retain natural oils thus add shine to your hair and close up your pores in your skin. Plus its Free!
- Speed up recovery after workout: This is my favourite. Cold shower decreases inflammation and help remove toxins such as lactic acid because as your body warms up after a cold shower, blood flow increases at the same time. This is the reason athletes take ice baths after a game.
- Improve blood circulation: When having a cold shower, your heart has to get pumping to try and warm your body up thus helps increase cardiovascular health.
- Energy booster pack: Having a cold shower will give your body a jolt of energy and acts like a “Reset” button to your nervous system causing release of noradrenaline secretion in the brain. So, try having a cold shower when you are feeling emotional or moody.
- Sleep like a baby: Having a cold shower an hour before bed may help your body trigger sleep signals giving you a deeper and restful sleep.
- Increased immune system: Unlike what your mom told you, spending time in the cold can actually increase your immune strength. Those who take cold showers typically exhibit higher white blood cell counts and higher concentrations of plasma and lymphocytes.
- Testosterone booster: During cold shower, testosterone production in men is elevated. This is a natural way to increase testosterone so get them cold showers happening guys!
- Increase fertility: This is an interesting one. Having cold showers will help boost sperm count and increase fertility. Study at USCF shown that men who stopped taking regular hot baths had an increase in sperm count of up to 491%! So remember that those testes want to be kept nice and cool.
So what are you waiting for? Now that you know all the tangible and mental benefits of having a cold shower, give it a try today I promise you wont regret it. I challenge you to conquer your fear now!